• Question

• I am have a heck of a time rebuilding virtual directories in the Shell:

OWA

EWS - webservices

Active sync

OAB

UM

and Autodiscover

Could some please profile me with some useful information on how to rebuild these? I get confused on which part is the virtual directory and which part is the website itself.

Thank you

Craig Becker
    Friday, October 14, 2011 8:38 PM

All replies

• Hi
       Please post version of your exchange system.
     Exchange 2010   You can read this KB to reset virtual directory.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff629372.aspx
      exchange 2007  You can read this blog.
       All directories are virtual directory not part of IIS.

Monday, October 17, 2011 2:30 AM
  • Exchange 2007

that is the web site that I found over the weekend and referenced.

What confuses me is the blanks that I have to fill in

For ex

to re-create the AutoDiscover VD I would do the following:

New-AutodiscoverVirtualDirectory -WebSiteName "Defualt Web Site" -WindowsAuthentication $true -DigestAuthentication $true

The errors that I get are as follows:

New-AutodiscoverVirtualDirectory : The Web site 'Defualt Web Site' on server 'server' does not exist. The name of a Web site is case sensi
    tive.
    Parameter name: WebSiteName
    At line:1 char:33
    + New-AutodiscoverVirtualDirectory  <<<< -WebSiteName "Defualt Web Site" -Windo
    wsAuthentication $true -DigestAuthentication $true

IIS is up and running properly with no event log errors. IIS was working fine before I removed the Virtual Directories. I have no problem rebuilding them in exchange 2003 but for some reason using the shell it always gives me fits.

Craig Becker
    Monday, October 17, 2011 11:58 AM
  • syntax error it should be "Default Web Site"and not Defualt Web Site"

New-AutodiscoverVirtualDirectory -WebSiteName "Default Web Site" -WindowsAuthentication $true -DigestAuthentication $true

Jasjit Singh Dhindsa | ITIL v3 | IASA Foundation Certified | MCITP:Exchange 2010 | Exchange 2007 | MCTS:OCS 2007 | Exchange 2010 | Exchange 2007 | MCSA:Messaging | Security | MCSE:Messaging | Security
    Monday, October 17, 2011 12:42 PM
  • Bare with me but I don't see the difference: But I did get a different error.

[PS] C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.>New-AutodiscoverVirtualDire
    ctory -WebSiteName "Default Web Site" -WindowsAuthentication $true -DigestAuthen
    tication $true
    New-AutodiscoverVirtualDirectory : An error occurred while creating the IIS vir
    tual directory 'IIS://""/W3SVC/1/ROOT/Autodiscover' on
    ''.
    At line:1 char:33
    + New-AutodiscoverVirtualDirectory  <<<< -WebSiteName "Default Web Site" -Windo
    wsAuthentication $true -DigestAuthentication $true

Craig Becker

Monday, October 17, 2011 12:50 PM
  • Sorry I do see the typo :)
    Craig Becker
    Monday, October 17, 2011 12:52 PM
  • Run the below command and post the results

New-AutodiscoverVirtualDirectory -WebSiteName "Default Web Site" -WindowsAuthentication $true -DigestAuthentication $true -verbose

Jasjit Singh Dhindsa | ITIL v3 | IASA Foundation Certified | MCITP:Exchange 2010 | Exchange 2007 | MCTS:OCS 2007 | Exchange 2010 | Exchange 2007 | MCSA:Messaging | Security | MCSE:Messaging | Security
    Monday, October 17, 2011 12:58 PM
  • I ran that and then looked in the event log and found a ASP.NET 2.0 error: Failed while restarting W3SVC.  Error code: 0x8007041c

From there I found that I should update .net framework. I checked the Auto updates and there are 4 security updates for .net framework 2.0 (server 2003) and then there is also tollup 5 for exchange server 2007 sp3.

In the forum: http://eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1024&eventno=9665&source=ASP.NET 1.1.4322.0&phase=1 said to install: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=6523

Should I proceed with the auto updates or just install the .net above? Do I need to do this during after hours while exchange services are down or can I do so while exchange is live?

Craig Becker
    Monday, October 17, 2011 1:28 PM
  • Do auto update but do it afterhours.
    Monday, October 17, 2011 1:51 PM