Folder Programme Files (x86) RRS feed

• Question

• I use Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit., After a problem with a Windows Update, which cause mt MS Office Programme to misfunction, MS have spent 16 hours trying to resolve MS Office Updates.

During this time we have discovered that I ha ve a Folder = Programme Files and a Foloder = Programme File (x86)

I do not know how this came to be, can i delete the Folder = Programme Files (x(86)

Friday, May 13, 2011 11:18 AM

Answers

• Please verify the version in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System

If it is 32bit, please check the contents of the folder Program Files and Program Files (x86). One of the folder can be created by some program installations. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, May 23, 2011 7:46 AM
    Monday, May 16, 2011 7:04 AM

All replies

• Program Files (x86) is a system folder in 64-bit Windows that contains your 32-bit programs. Are you sure you're not using Windows 7 64 bit? What's inside that folder?

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert Consumer | http://www.wintecnico.com

Friday, May 13, 2011 3:41 PM
    Answerer
  • absolutely sure I am using 32 bit - verified by Microsoft

I have two programme files 1. = Programme Files - Msoft say tyhis is 32bit

2, = Programme (x86) - Msoft say this is 64 bit

Re Folder 2. Msoft say they do not know whyy6 it is there and it is not expected to be there. BHut no one seems to want to commit to deleting it

ALSmart
    Friday, May 13, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Please verify the version in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System

If it is 32bit, please check the contents of the folder Program Files and Program Files (x86). One of the folder can be created by some program installations. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, May 23, 2011 7:46 AM
    Monday, May 16, 2011 7:04 AM