Deleted emails reappear in Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are running Exchange 2010 SP3 Update Rollup 8V2 (all roles are installed on a single server).  I have a user that complains that deleted emails keep on re-appearing in Outlook (Outlook 2010 SP2) after being emptied from the Deleted Items folder.  Emails also seem to re-appear in the Sent Items folder.  The user is unsure how long it takes for the emails to re-appear.

This has happened periodically over the last few years, and over this time the user machine has been replaced twice and the Outlook profile recreated on each new machine.  Outlook is setup NOT to use cached mode, and the user does not check emails from any other devices.  

If we login to OWA then the same emails appear there that appear in Outlook.

Exchange is set to delete 'deleted' emails after 30 days.

I have searched the Internet for similar issues but most deal with sync issues in cached mode and/or multiple devices checking the one email account.

I was originally sceptical of this issue but I now do believe that these emails are re-appearing.  The user has emails from 2010 in their Deleted and Sent Items which they know they have previously deleted.

Any advice on troubleshooting this issue would be welcome.

Friday, August 14, 2015 4:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• You might try a mailbox repair (see https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff625221%28v=exchg.141%29.aspx) to see if this fixes the issue.  As I remember, the mailbox won't be accessible during the mailbox repair, just in case you need to let your end user know what's going on.

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

Friday, August 14, 2015 12:48 PM
  • Hi,

Please try delete message in OWA to testing, if it works fine, please try reconfigure Outlook profile.
    If not, try Will's suggestion to repair mailbox or move mailbox to another database.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 17, 2015 9:24 AM
  • Hi Allen,

The Outlook profile has been reconfigured - the user has been moved to a new machine.  

Thanks

Janine

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 8:43 AM
  • Will,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have run the New-MailboxRepairRequest with the -DetectOnly parameter and no errors were logged in the Application log between the start and end entries.

I am running a backup of the databases tonight and I will move the mailbox tomorrow.

The user is on leave this week so will not be able to test for a while.

Janine

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 8:45 AM