none
DPM 2012 SP1 jobs not visible after catalog of foreign tape RRS feed

• Question

• Testing a DR scenario with a new build of DPM 2012 SP1 on new hardware. All goes very well, I attach my Ultrium Tape drive. load the drivers and it appear in the DPM console. The rescan job show in monitoring.

Then I put in a tape (foreign because this is new hardware and I have not restored the database).

As soon as I recatalog the tape, the jobs I have completed disappear, the catalog job is not listed as running.

From now on no jobs are visible, though everything will work: I can see the tape contents, restore them to disk and so on, but nothing is logged.

I have done this twice now (since I am testing and documenting DR procedures) and it has happened both times. I want to document how long the different processes take, so rather than sitting watching, I had hoped to have log file like I do in DPM normally.

I have tried creating custom filters, but I cannot find ANY jobs at all.

I don't have any disks allocated for DPM at the moment, but I did not think this was necessary as there is nothing to protect.

CarolChi

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 1:49 PM

Answers

• Discovered the answer myself.

If I restore from the foreign tape in the management console, using the "copy to" option, I get a  very fast restore, but limited: if I restore a VM backed up form Hyper-V I get only the .VHD file, and nothing appears in the monitoring window or logs.

If I go to the Restore Pane, I get the whole VM restored, and everything is logged, jobs appear in progress and so on. I think this takes a little longer to execute.

CarolChi

• Marked as answer by Carol Chisholm Saturday, January 5, 2013 8:45 AM
    Saturday, January 5, 2013 8:45 AM