none
Installing IE9 on 2008 R2 Session Host using e:\ drive RRS feed

• Question

• We have a 2008 R2 Session Host that has a C:\ and E:\ drive configured.

We've changed the registry entries that set the "Program files" and "Program files (x86)" folders to the E:\ drive but when we install IE9 and then try to run it, the screen flashes up and then disappears.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and is there a way around this as we'd like to store all our applications on the E:\ drive if possible.

Cheers for now

Russell

Friday, June 7, 2013 11:35 PM

Answers

• Robert,

Thanks for your thoughts and links on this problem.

I had a look at the article that suggests changing the %PrgoramFiles% variable is not supported but wonder why it only relates to the older OS's and versions of IE.

I managed to get IE9 working again by using regsvr32.exe to re-register ieproxy.dll in e:\program files\internet explorer and e:\program files (x86)\internet explorer.

Not sure if it's a permanent fix but certainly seems to be heading in the right direction.

Cheers for now

Russell

Sunday, June 9, 2013 10:14 AM

All replies

• we'd like to store all our applications on the E:\ drive if possible.

Not that way but supposedly some have done the same thing using junctions.   There is an article in support which explicitly states that the way that you are trying to do it is not supported...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933700

(BING search for
        programfiles "internet Explorer" different drive site:support.microsoft.com
    )

Maybe not so convincing to only find one which refers to XP but I'm pretty sure it still applies, at least in W8...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_7/ie8-flashes-and-disappears-on-startup/51d96c49-3d98-4a98-a1b9-733cbc65e7d6?page=2

(BING search for
        programfiles "internet Explorer" different drive windows_8 procmon site:microsoft.com
    )

<quote>

Another poster managed to cause this symptom by trying to move  %ProgramFiles%  out from under  %SystemDrive%.

</quote>

Unfortunately I do not have an explicit reference for that incident.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, June 8, 2013 10:32 PM
    Answerer
  • Robert,

Thanks for your thoughts and links on this problem.

I had a look at the article that suggests changing the %PrgoramFiles% variable is not supported but wonder why it only relates to the older OS's and versions of IE.

I managed to get IE9 working again by using regsvr32.exe to re-register ieproxy.dll in e:\program files\internet explorer and e:\program files (x86)\internet explorer.

Not sure if it's a permanent fix but certainly seems to be heading in the right direction.

Cheers for now

Russell

Sunday, June 9, 2013 10:14 AM