none
Project Server Global Settings - Over & Under-Allocation of Resources Notifications RRS feed

• Question

• I have been informed by a colleague (who manages our instance of Project Server) at work that if I want to show over-allocations (the little red man graphic), you also have to show under-allocations as well (highlighted as a little red man graphic too). This is confusing as I only want to see over-allocations. My colleague is adamant that if  the under-allocation notification is switched off, the over-allocation notification will be switched off too as they are directly linked with one another i.e. you can't have one without the other.

Is this right as I’m sure I’ve used Project Server in a previous company with just over-allocation notification enabled?

Can the under-allocation notification be highlighted as different graphic or colour (say a blue little man graphic for example)?

• Edited by PROCA24 Monday, February 17, 2014 6:05 AM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 5:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Proc,

There is no graphic available for under allocated resources.

Only for the over allocation you will see a little red man on gantt chart or yellow square on resource sheet and name of the resource will be in red color.

There is also no setting neither on MPP nor on Project server which enables under allocation graphic on MPP or project server. 

kirtesh

Monday, February 17, 2014 6:35 AM
  • Hi Kirtesh,

Thank you very much for your response.

What I don't understand is that our current set-up in Project Server is showing resources that aren't over-allocated as red too.

Is it something to do with the parameter settings for over-allocation?

Thanks,

Alex

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 5:17 AM
  • Red mark will come up on MPP not on to Project Server. Also check your Calendar for project server ,number of working hours per day. by default it is 8 hour it means if any resource is assigned more than 8 hr for a day he will be over allocated. 

kirtesh

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 5:22 AM
  • What I don't understand is that our current set-up in Project Server is showing resources that aren't over-allocated as red too.

Is it something to do with the parameter settings for over-allocation?

Hi Alex,

In MS Project Pro, go to the resource tab of the ribbon, then click on the levelling options to open the option dialog box. Finally, define on which granularity Project should detect over-allocation and thus display the "red guy".

This is a key option. Even if the resource is correctly assigned (no overallocation) on a monthly basis (<40hrs) but has an overallocation just on 1 day (>8hrs), if the parameter is set to "day by day" (as it is by default), the resource will be shown as overallocated.

Thus just choose the granularity you want to use for overallocation detection.

Note that this is a MS Project option and not a Project Server option.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:02 PM