Hard Drive Format Problems RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Maxtor One Touch III Mini, and I cant see it in windows explorer.  I am trying to get documents that are stored on the drive.  It shows up in the device manager and in computer management (under Disk Management) but when I open Disk Management, it says that I must initialize the disk to ether a MBR or a GPT.  It also says that the device is unallocated space. 
    Saturday, April 30, 2011 5:04 PM

Answers

• It appears that the drive is only supported to Vista with the vendor's software.

You could try and install that software in Compatibility mode and then use it to access the drive.

Then move the data to your system drive, uninstall the software, connect the drive and prep it in disk manager for Windows 7, then move the data back.

Get the software here: http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=ot3-downloads&vgnextoid=35c6069f356d3110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD

How to Compatibility mode here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproappcompat/thread/cdd894f8-1ee2-43e5-952b-d04c25779a7f

• Proposed as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, May 6, 2011 7:27 AM
    Sunday, May 1, 2011 10:47 AM
  • I have a Maxtor One Touch III Mini, and I cant see it in windows explorer.  I am trying to get documents that are stored on the drive.  It shows up in the device manager and in computer management (under Disk Management) but when I open Disk Management, it says that I must initialize the disk to ether a MBR or a GPT.  It also says that the device is unallocated space. 

Based on the information found by Nano Warp, I strongly recommend you contact Seagate/Maxtor Technical Support about your problem.  As Nano Warp points out the Maxtor website indicates the drive software is compatible with Vista, but does not indicate it is compatible with Windows 7.  The facts makes this problem a manufacture's problem and not a Windows 7 problem!
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Sunday, May 1, 2011 2:49 PM

All replies

• If Windows 7 is not recognizing the drive as being formatted and containing data, then you need to find a third party utility to access the drive because Windows 7 does not have any hard drive recovery capability at all.  All Windows 7 can do is initialize and format the drive.  All of your data currently on the drive will be lost!
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Saturday, April 30, 2011 5:53 PM
  • Care to share what OS is it running on the maxtor one touch? Or is it a blank and new drive?
    Sunday, May 1, 2011 8:49 AM
    Answerer
  • It appears that the drive is only supported to Vista with the vendor's software.

You could try and install that software in Compatibility mode and then use it to access the drive.

Then move the data to your system drive, uninstall the software, connect the drive and prep it in disk manager for Windows 7, then move the data back.

Get the software here: http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=ot3-downloads&vgnextoid=35c6069f356d3110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD

How to Compatibility mode here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproappcompat/thread/cdd894f8-1ee2-43e5-952b-d04c25779a7f

Sunday, May 1, 2011 10:47 AM

Based on the information found by Nano Warp, I strongly recommend you contact Seagate/Maxtor Technical Support about your problem.  As Nano Warp points out the Maxtor website indicates the drive software is compatible with Vista, but does not indicate it is compatible with Windows 7.  The facts makes this problem a manufacture's problem and not a Windows 7 problem!
    Sunday, May 1, 2011 2:49 PM