msnmsgr.exe - Bad Image / Error C:\windows\system32\MSVFW32.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. RRS feed

• Question

• msnmsgr.exe - Bad Image

Error C:\windows\system32\MSVFW32.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 4:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your posts.

If the issue didn’t occur previously, please try System Restore to get the system back to a good status.

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Run the command SFC to have a check:

Type the following command to an elevated command prompt, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. Then, please run DXDIAG and see if it works.

2.    Go to C:\Windows\System32” and check if the file msvfw32.dll” exists.

If the file exists, please right-click on it and choose Properties, then switch to Details tab and capture a screenshot for our further research:

Capture a screenshot

==============

1)   Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2)   Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3)   In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4)   The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5)   Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please upload the picture to Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) and share its URL with us.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, August 31, 2009 1:45 AM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 11:26 AM

All replies

• msnmsgr.exe - Bad Image

Error C:\windows\system32\MSVEW32.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.

Could any one help me pls?? I did try everythings uninsall/reinstall, removed, even try RegCure but uesless...its very annoying..

pls help

thank you
    • Proposed as answer by Joseph Raies Saturday, January 19, 2013 12:40 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Joseph Raies Saturday, January 19, 2013 12:40 AM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 4:54 PM
  • http://download.live.com/

Can you download and install latest Windows Live Messenger and test again?
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 5:08 AM
  • Yes I did say above..  but nothing change... someone told me its not just MSN problems its the problems with my Windows as well.. but I've no idea what to do...

thanks anyway
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 9:32 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your posts.

If the issue didn’t occur previously, please try System Restore to get the system back to a good status.

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Run the command SFC to have a check:

Type the following command to an elevated command prompt, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. Then, please run DXDIAG and see if it works.

2.    Go to C:\Windows\System32” and check if the file msvfw32.dll” exists.

If the file exists, please right-click on it and choose Properties, then switch to Details tab and capture a screenshot for our further research:

Capture a screenshot

==============

1)   Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2)   Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3)   In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4)   The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5)   Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please upload the picture to Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) and share its URL with us.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, August 31, 2009 1:45 AM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 11:26 AM
  • Hi Nic

I did try System Restore but it seem lke its just never do the tricks.. but I will give it a go for what you just told me to...

I will let you know if it works..

thank you very much...

regards
    Monday, August 31, 2009 11:49 AM
  • It's 15 months later and I still can't find the answer to this same message/problem. Scannow couldn't find anything and the above link for the picture upload no longer works. Where might I find a solution?

Please help.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 5:06 PM
  • Hey Nic

Any other options available if both system restore and scannow don't do anything to remedy the problem? I've had this problem for the past three months now and I can't get around it.

Monday, January 3, 2011 7:29 PM
  • Hello

I had the same error and it pop up everytime I start windows

platform: windows XP

this is what I did

"Roll back a driver to a previously installed version if msacm32.dll errors began after updating a particular hardware device's driver"

there is another way I found that might help: I copied msacm32.dll from a coputer who have the same build as the affected one, I replaced the file and it worked :)

Saturday, January 19, 2013 12:41 AM