none
Approval getting "lost" in the chain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've created a simple AuthZ WF with a 3 stage approval activity. 

1) Person's Manager approvers the request

2) Person's Department Manager approves the request

3) Group Owner approves the request

The MPR gets triggered which fires the WF, and the Person's manager gets an approval request. The strange this is that when the manager approves, the request just gets "lost" - it never reaches the Department Manager (I've verified the Department Manager and Group Owners are both populated correctly)

I changed this activity to use a 2 step process, and swapped the order as well, but only the first approval stage ever gets fired and then the request is lost. There are no errors generated anywhere, and the second approver just never gets the approval request.

Any suggestions why this might be?

UPDATE

--------

I compared the request order from a working environment with the one I'm experiencing issues with. In the working environment, after the first approver approves the request, 2 requests are generated, both titled "Updated to Approval <group name> request". First one adds a value to the Approval Response attribute (a reference value of the request), and the second one sets the Approval Status attribute to Approved. 

In the broken environment, I'm not getting the second request generated (i.e. the one which sets the Approval Status to Approved). I'm guessing since FIM doesn't think the request has been fully approved, it doesn't present it to the next approver.

Still, I have no clue why the second request is not being generated. No errors in the event logs either :(

UPDATE 2

-----------

Some warnings in the event viewer regarding unable to resolve assemblies - a possible hint but I don't know how to proceed on this

Unable to resolve resource:Microsoft.ResourceManagement.Workflow.Activities.ReceiveCreateResourceActivity.rules

Unable to resolve resource:Microsoft.ResourceManagement.Workflow.Activities.ApprovalActivity.rules.

• Edited by kmittal82 Friday, August 22, 2014 2:54 PM
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 9:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you check following things:

1) How you r population approvers into Workflow? (It should consist something like //Requestor/Manager to //Requestor/Manager/Manager )

2) What is Approval threshold you are using? (It should be 2)

I hope this will help you.

If My Answer helps you do not forget to check helpful post and If answers your question do not forget to "Mark it as an Answer" Thanks~ Giriraj Singh Bhamu

Thursday, August 21, 2014 11:36 AM
  • Thanks Giriraj

1) I have 2 approval activities, first one is [//Requestor/Manager], and the second one is [//Target/Owner] 

2) I'm not sure why the threshold should be 2 - there is only one approver in each approval activity, so each activity can only have an approval threshold of 1 (in total, that makes it 2, but in each activity it is 1).

Friday, August 22, 2014 8:29 AM
  • Hi,

1. Check how many authorization workflows are getting applied?

2. Have you checked after removing the owner approval activity? If not, try doing this by removing owner approval activity from the workflow.

Note: This can be tracked by monitoring the request at each and every step.

Regards,
    Manuj Khurana

Friday, August 22, 2014 9:12 AM
  • There is 1 AuthZ WF with 2 approval activities. Each approval activity has 1 approver, the first one is the User's Manager, and the second approver is the Group Owner. The idea here is that before a user can become a member of a group, he/she must be first approver by his/her manager and then by the group owner.

The WF gets triggerd, and the first approver does get the approval request.

The problem is when the first approver approves the request, the request doesn't make it through to the second approver. 

Also, it doesn't matter if the second activity seeks approval from the group owner, it could be anyone but the same problem persists, the request just doesn't make it through to the second approver
    • Edited by kmittal82 Friday, August 22, 2014 2:08 PM
    Friday, August 22, 2014 2:03 PM
  • Hi,

After first approver approves, what is the request status?

Is it completed? or PostProcessing? or something else.

The first time request is generated, check in the list of approvers that only first level of approver is present or all the approvers are added? "Computed Actor"

Regards,
    Manuj Khurana

Monday, August 25, 2014 8:05 AM
  • After first approver approves, what is the request status?

The request is completed, but I compared a working environment to this broken one. In the working environment, when the first approver approves the request, 2 requests are automatically generated,  First one adds a value to the Approval Response attribute (a reference value of the request), and the second one sets the Approval Status attribute to Approved. After the second request is generated, the request moves forward in the chain and reaches the second approver.

In the broken environment however, the second request is not being generated, which means the "Approval Status" attribute is not being set to "Approved", which in turn makes FIM think that the request has not been approved by the first approver and hence the request is just stuck in the pipeline

The first time request is generated, check in the list of approvers that only first level of approver is present or all the approvers are added? "Computed Actor"

Only the first approver is present in this list, which makes sense since the request is only going to him to start with.

• Edited by kmittal82 Monday, August 25, 2014 2:21 PM
    Monday, August 25, 2014 1:33 PM
  • Try doing this by changing the approval threshold to 2 in the activity.

approval threshold : The number of positive approval response messages needed to permit a request to continue processing.

Regards,
    Manuj Khurana

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:15 AM
  • Ok... I tried it but that didn't work, and I don't see why it should either.

There are 2 approval activities in the WF, and each activity has 1 approver, ergo,  each activity's threshold is set to 1. The first approvers activity is independent of the second one

Why do you think the approval threshold needs to be changed?

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:33 AM
  • Yes, you are right for threshold part, it is separate for each activity we put in. I have also tested the same in my environment and it made no change. But strange thing is that in my environment request went as expected and not as your case.

I believe there is some other problem in your environment. Not sure what it is, but will search and write here if found something.

Regards,
    Manuj Khurana

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 12:39 PM
  • Thanks Manuj, I also have another test lab where this works just fine, its only in the client environment where this is broken. Not sure what more I can do to fix this :(
    Tuesday, August 26, 2014 2:38 PM
  • Hmm, I don;t know what has caused this, but I resolved it (at least once) but cancelling all prior authorizing requests as the FIM administrator, then it all seemed to kick start again - odd!

If it happens again, I'll do that same and see if it fixes the errors

• Marked as answer by kmittal82 Wednesday, September 3, 2014 4:31 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by kmittal82 Thursday, September 4, 2014 5:14 PM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2014 1:14 PM
  • False alarm, it happened again (Randomly) and cancelling the requests seem to have no effect.

Could this somehow be related to the PowerShell activity? I had a custom approval WF written (which calculates the approvers and passes it to workflowdata) in this (which hangs), but even if I replace that with standard out of the box approval activities it doesn't help

Here goes my plea for help, one more time! :)

Thursday, September 4, 2014 5:16 PM