USB drives not recognizing hardware consistantly! RRS feed

• Question

• hello everyone, this is my first post so bear with me.
         I have had a new comp for 6 months now running Vista ultimate and have recently found that my usb drives (7 of them, most usb 2.0?) are not recognizing the hardware i plug into them (the same hardware i was using just 1 week ago). No error message comes up, no 'looking for correct driver' info comes up, no 'new hardware detected' comes up, it just sits there. Under device manager all my USB "root hubs" and "host controlllers" are working fine and are powered etcetera but have no devices attached to them. I HAVE been able to get my mouse and an external HD working in 2 ports but I dont see why they would work and not my simple usb flash drive or my hp 3940 deskjet printer.
         Further, i've tried uninstalling the USB hubs or controllers and having windows reinstall the drivers and that, at best, only changes which ports work and which devices are recognized. My comp hasnt gone through any trauma recently so i doubt there is any USB hardware faults but Im not so good at this stuff so i dont know.

Im pretty lost at this point because every time i try to fix the problem by say disabling USB i cant use the mouse which makes anything difficult to do. PLEASE let me know if this is a problem that can be solved or should i simply concede and take it into the shop.

thanks,
    Rob

p.s. i found that it is common for people to ask whether the hardware needs its own drivers but Vista comes with the printer driver i need and presumably the generic USB flash device uses generic drivers so i know this is not the problem.

p.s.s. if there is simply a thread or forum that you think can help me that would be great.
    Monday, December 31, 2007 3:45 PM

Answers

• Hi Rob,

Have you tried to restart your computer? If that doesn't work, you can try to disable and enable the "Root Hubs". Double-click the root hub and select Power tab, you will see the devices attached on it.

Besides, make sure your USB device is able to be recognized on other computers.

If all of the above recommendations have been attempted and you encounter the same issue, it is likely that the computer got hardware failure. You could ask your hardware vendor for further help.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Yog Li

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, January 4, 2008 7:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Rob,

This problem may occur because of a race condition in the Selective Suspend feature of USB. Try these steps to resolve it:

1. Start Device Manager.

2. Right-click on the computer name, and select "Scan for hardware changes".

If this does not resolve the issue, you need to restart the computer. In some cases you must use Device Manager to disable then re-enable the device to get it to recover from this unresponsive condition.

For general information about troubleshooting USB device problems, please click the link below.

Troubleshoot USB device problems
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-GB/help/c39bd203-f729-47a4-8351-83291e13c8a81033.mspx

Please also refer to the following KB to install a hotfix if it is your scenario.

A USB device may not work when you start a Windows Vista-based computer or when you wake the computer from sleep
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941996/en-us

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,

Yog Li

Thursday, January 3, 2008 9:33 AM
  • Thanks for the advice but i've tried the "scan for hardware" solution many times and it hasnt worked once.

As far as disabling the device goes, should i disbale the "root hubs" or the "host controllers" and how do i know which physical port is connected to which device in the device manager? I ask because i dont want to diable the ports that i have been able to get working incase they dont enable propery again.

thanks
    Rob
    Thursday, January 3, 2008 3:08 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Have you tried to restart your computer? If that doesn't work, you can try to disable and enable the "Root Hubs". Double-click the root hub and select Power tab, you will see the devices attached on it.

Besides, make sure your USB device is able to be recognized on other computers.

If all of the above recommendations have been attempted and you encounter the same issue, it is likely that the computer got hardware failure. You could ask your hardware vendor for further help.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Yog Li

Friday, January 4, 2008 7:26 AM
  •  

I have the same problem with my phone.... plug it in and it charges and plug in the next time it doesn't.  Doesn't work for day through multipule reboots phone or Vista.  Then it just works again.  If I use XP, works everytime.  Driving me nutz....!!!

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 11:33 PM
  • Hi Kipper,

Please read the following KBs and then install the hotfixes by the instructions:

933442  A USB composite device does not work after you disable and then enable the device in Device Manager on a computer that is running Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933442/en-us

941996  A USB device may not work when you start a Windows Vista-based computer or when you wake the computer from sleep
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941996/en-us

935783  When you resume a Windows Vista-based computer from sleep, you may experience unexpected behavior from a USB device
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935783/en-us

928631  A USB device may no longer work correctly after Windows Vista resumes from sleep or from hibernation
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928631/en-us

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,

Yog Li

Thursday, January 24, 2008 3:17 AM