Fixed size VHD wording question RRS feed

• Question

• When creating a fixed size VHD in Windows 7, the GUI in disk management reads as follows:

"The virtual hard disk uses a fixed amount of space regardless of the amount of data stored in it.  Its default size is the maximum amount of space available on your physical hard disk."

The first sentence is clearly true.  But in what sense can the second be construed as a true statement?  The VHD creation GUI won't let you click OK until you manually choose a size for the VHD.  I don't see a VHD as ever having any 'default' size at all, let alone one that is the maximum amount of available hard disk space.

Is this second statement plausible?

Friday, April 29, 2011 3:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, this is undocumented. But the second sentence seems that it is problematic.

If you find any inconvenience or have any suggestions, please submit your feedback to our Product Feedback Team : http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%20%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195 

Regards,
    Juke
    TechNet Subscriber support in form. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:44 AM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 2:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

According to your description, I would like to confirm whether you mean that the VHD size field should have a default size when you create a fixed size VHD?

Regards,
    Juke
    TechNet Subscriber support in form. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, May 2, 2011 6:46 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates?

Regards,
    Juke

Thursday, May 5, 2011 5:34 AM
  • Hi Juke,

I'm looking at the interface in Disk Management.  I go to the Action menu, and select "Create VHD".  The dialog box that appears contains the two sentences I originally quoted.  The first sentence is accurate, but the second seems wrong to me.

Mike

Friday, May 6, 2011 1:42 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, this is undocumented. But the second sentence seems that it is problematic.

If you find any inconvenience or have any suggestions, please submit your feedback to our Product Feedback Team : http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%20%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195 

Regards,
    Juke

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:44 AM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 2:29 AM
  • Hi,

What else can I do for you?

Regards,
    Juke

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:30 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, I will mark my reply as "Answered".

If you have any concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

Thanks.

Regards,
    Juke

Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:44 AM