Failed to perform Web Site discovery on otherwise healthy servers RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting some

Failed to perform Web Site discovery alerts with the following alert description:

Event Description: Error reading properties of the WebSite 'mywebsite.mycompany.tld'. Skipping Discovery of website. This operation will be retried.

Error: 0x80070032

Details: The request is not supported.

One or more workflows were affected by this.

Workflow name: Microsoft.Windows.InternetInformationServices.2008.Discover0To8WebSites

Instance name: IIS Web Server

Instance ID: {930C04EA-947B-9ACB-B7FA-753E5228649D}

Management group: mygrp

The server is functional, this is the only alert on the server, and its only one website out of 6, the rest of the websites are fine.

As far as i can see in the iis manager, the website is working as it should, no eventlog says anything wrong.

At first i thought the problem were with wmi and the memory leak described in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981314

but no luck.

Can anyone tell me how this discovery works, and how i can run it manually to see what goes wrong?

Friday, January 7, 2011 2:39 PM

Answers

• My colleague wrote this for you:

Symptom:

Failed to perform Web Site discovery (Event Description: Error reading properties of the Website ’xxxxxx’. Skipping Discovery of website. This operation will be retried. Error: 0x80070032 )

Cause :

Website on IIS7.0 running with application pool under .Net 4.0 and the configuration section 'system.web.extensions' cannot be read because it is missing a section declaration. Because of this the system.web.extensions for Ajax element fails to process the config file.

Resolution :

To solve this problem you will need to add the following under <configSections> section in the web.config file:

<sectionGroup name="system.web.extensions" type="System.Web.Configuration.SystemWebExtensionsSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35">

<sectionGroup name="scripting" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35">

<section name="scriptResourceHandler" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>

<sectionGroup name="webServices" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingWebServicesSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35">

<section name="jsonSerialization" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingJsonSerializationSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="Everywhere"/>

<section name="profileService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingProfileServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>

<section name="authenticationService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingAuthenticationServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>

<section name="roleService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingRoleServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>

</sectionGroup>

</sectionGroup>

</sectionGroup>

Once this above is done, run the AppCmd:

C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv>appcmd list config " Web site name xxxx"

If it fails with error below:

ERROR ( message:Configuration error

Filename: \\?\C:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config

Line Number: 200

Description: Unrecognized element 'providerOption'

. )

The above error is observed for below section in web.config:

<system.codedom>

<compilers>

<compiler language="c#;cs;csharp" extension=".cs" type="Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeProvider,System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" warningLevel="4">

<providerOption name="CompilerVersion" value="v4.0" />

<providerOption name="WarnAsError" value="false" />

</compiler>

</compilers>

</system.codedom>

Removing lines below helps the validation to succeed.

Run the command again:

And it should work without errors. And next web site discovery should be complete without errors

Hope you can use the info. :)

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:44 AM

All replies

• Was this a legacy web site that was brought forward during a server upgrade?  If so, it may not have the properties and interfaces required to figure out essential information.  Try deleting the web site and recreating it native.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Friday, January 7, 2011 4:38 PM
  • It dosnt look like it, one of the websites in question is newly created.

Is there any way to see if the website is an upgraded version.

Monday, January 10, 2011 11:53 AM
  • I'm having the same issue.
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 1:13 AM
  • I had the same problem. Recreating the web page wasn't what I wanted to do. But I tried it anyway and it worked...
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 5:07 AM
  • And now it fails again. The same, recreated website is listed. The site in question is running MojoPortal and has quite some configuration data...
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:12 AM
  • Some of the sites i have a problem with are just small static pages without any big config.
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 10:47 AM
  • I have the same issue - did anyone find a fix?
    Monday, May 23, 2011 2:07 PM
  • We found a fix together with PSS.

I will write a quick blogpost about it, and link here in a couple of days.

Monday, May 23, 2011 2:13 PM
  • My colleague wrote this for you:

Symptom:

Failed to perform Web Site discovery (Event Description: Error reading properties of the Website ’xxxxxx’. Skipping Discovery of website. This operation will be retried. Error: 0x80070032 )

Cause :

Website on IIS7.0 running with application pool under .Net 4.0 and the configuration section 'system.web.extensions' cannot be read because it is missing a section declaration. Because of this the system.web.extensions for Ajax element fails to process the config file.

Resolution :

To solve this problem you will need to add the following under <configSections> section in the web.config file:

<sectionGroup name="system.web.extensions" type="System.Web.Configuration.SystemWebExtensionsSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35">

<sectionGroup name="scripting" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35">

<section name="scriptResourceHandler" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>

<sectionGroup name="webServices" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingWebServicesSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35">

<section name="jsonSerialization" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingJsonSerializationSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="Everywhere"/>

<section name="profileService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingProfileServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>

<section name="authenticationService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingAuthenticationServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>

<section name="roleService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingRoleServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>

</sectionGroup>

</sectionGroup>

</sectionGroup>

Once this above is done, run the AppCmd:

If it fails with error below:

ERROR ( message:Configuration error

Filename: \\?\C:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config

Line Number: 200

Description: Unrecognized element 'providerOption'

. )

The above error is observed for below section in web.config:

<system.codedom>

<compilers>

<compiler language="c#;cs;csharp" extension=".cs" type="Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeProvider,System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" warningLevel="4">

</compiler>

</compilers>

</system.codedom>

Removing lines below helps the validation to succeed.

Run the command again:

And it should work without errors. And next web site discovery should be complete without errors

Hope you can use the info. :)

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:44 AM