Solution to partial hang (lock up) at "Discovering Items" dialog requiring a reboot and deletion of the file from an administrative command prompt RRS feed

• Question

• (originally this was a question, but I found a solution so I edited this post.)

Sometimes windows 7 is unable to delete, move, or rename a file. 

When this happens, Explorer fails to advance beyond the "Discovering Items" dialog, although other Explorer windows continue to work normally.

The associated application may or may be able to load the file.

At least one cause (primary cause?) of this problem is the IExtractImage shell extension with the guid {BB2E617C-0920-11D1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1} which is presumably responsible for extracting a thumbnail of the file from the associated application.

I'm guessing if the data file in question is corrupt, or if for any reason the application cannot produce a thumbnail from it, windows 7 hangs waiting for a reply from the application.

I fixed this problem for my situation by removing image extraction for the extension of the file causing me problems.

I deleted the key

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.[problematic extension]\shellex\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}

then ended all explorer tasks (or rebooted), and the problem went away.

For example, if a .zzz file is causing you problems, you would delete Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.zzz\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}

Hope this helps other people.
    • Edited by cwm9cwm9 Sunday, March 7, 2010 4:10 AM
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 9:52 AM

Answers

• Hi.  I discovered a solution to my problem and edited the post above to show it.
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, March 9, 2010 5:38 AM
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 4:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The issue can be related to third-party codecs or third-party components, espcially file system filter drivers, such as anti-virus drivers. You can boot the system into Safe Mode and have some tests. If Safe Mode works fine, you can then check the startup programs and loaded third-party services by running clean boot.

How to log on Safe Mode
    ==========================
    1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when you see the boot menu.

2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

3. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges.

NOTE: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary. To return the system back to Normal Mode, we can simply restart the computer.

Clean boot, refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    ===============
    1. Click the Start Button and type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Search Box and press Enter.
    2. Click Continue to verify the permission.
    3. Select the Services tab in the open window. Check the “Hide all Microsoft Services” option and click Disable All.
    4. Switch to the Startup tab and click Disable All.
    5. Click OK to save the settings and select Restart when prompted.
    6. Check whether or not the issue still occurs.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't adversely affect the system or other programs. We can still manually run these programs later. 

Thursday, March 4, 2010 7:36 AM
  • Hi.  I discovered a solution to my problem and edited the post above to show it.
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, March 9, 2010 5:38 AM
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 4:01 AM
  • Hi, I'm having trouble deleting corrupted files and would like to give this a shot.

Question: where can you find the keys?  (e.g. Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.[problematic extension]\shellex\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1})  I can't find anything under the "Computer" folder that resembles HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.  Am I looking in the wrong place?

Sunday, October 17, 2010 3:41 PM
  • Yes. You have to run regedit from start/run.
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 12:07 AM
  • you're an absolute lifesaver. been looking for the solution to this for MONTHS and finally found this post. was happening with WAV files at times. deleted key, restarted explorer. deleted stuck WAVs no problem. THANK YOU!
    Sunday, December 23, 2012 11:11 AM
  • Thank you for pointing me to the problem, I was having this issue with a large movie file.  There is a much simpler solution to this though.  (Turn off "hide file extensions for known types" in folder options, if you haven't already). Rename the file extension to something the shell extension isn't actively looking for, such as ".old", this may cause windows explorer to crash and restart, no big deal.  You may need to rename the file again after Windows Explorer starts back up, then once it has a different file name you should be able to delete it without any issues.  You don't need to modify a registry key, just prevent the extension from trying to read it to begin with.  Its a resource (b)locking issue.
    Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:03 PM
  • This can also occur when accessing files in an encrypted directory on another machine on your local network.  The problem seems to be that the logged-in user has the privilege to access the file but that the program that's trying to get at the thumbnail does not.  (I'm guessing here, but I have seen the symptoms consistently.)
    Monday, November 18, 2013 11:58 PM
  • I fixed this problem for my situation by removing image extraction for the extension of the file causing me problems.

I deleted the key

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.[problematic extension]\shellex\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}

then ended all explorer tasks (or rebooted), and the problem went away.

For example, if a .zzz file is causing you problems, you would delete Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.zzz\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}

Thanks, this sounds like it worked for a few people, but I can't find this key in Windows 8. Can anybody help with a Win 8 solution? Thanks!

• Edited by paddyb2 Monday, May 19, 2014 6:44 PM
    Monday, May 19, 2014 6:43 PM