none
Bare Metal Restore Inconsistant RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

We have a System Center DPM Server, were the bare metal restore of some servers fail consistantly.

I looked at some threads like (But did not find a solution):

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmsetup/thread/d17f08e4-aa39-43be-978e-ee571e7224b9/

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/1c8bc059-72bc-455e-b051-1f99a0d217d3/

On the protected server (Windows Server 2008 R2), windows backup is installed, and running a job manually works fine every single time.

In the second thread I mentioned it says, when you start a job on the DPM server, you should see an error on the protected server. But windows backup on the protected server doesn't seem to be doing anything at all.

Were should I be looking for this Windows backup server error / log, or does somebody have another idea of what could be going on?

Regards,

Pascal

Monday, March 18, 2013 8:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Pascal,

Oki it's seems to work locally.

Could you try to do a BMR backup of your protected server on Network Share ?

From an administrative command prompt on the PS, type:

wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -quiet -backuptarget:\\server\yourNetworkShare

Another point, Sum up the size of System partition and Critical data of your protected computer then verify that your PG on the DPM server has enought disk space allocated for the replica volume to hold the BMR backup.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Monday, March 18, 2013 10:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Pascal,

You said "On the protected server WBS is installed and work fine", did you try to do a manual BMR on this server ? 

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

Monday, March 18, 2013 9:24 AM
  • I ran something like this, on the protected server:

wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backuptarget:x

wbadmin start backup -allcritical -backupTarget:x

Both complete succesfully.

Monday, March 18, 2013 9:47 AM
  • Hi Pascal,

Oki it's seems to work locally.

Could you try to do a BMR backup of your protected server on Network Share ?

From an administrative command prompt on the PS, type:

wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -quiet -backuptarget:\\server\yourNetworkShare

Another point, Sum up the size of System partition and Critical data of your protected computer then verify that your PG on the DPM server has enought disk space allocated for the replica volume to hold the BMR backup.

Stephane

Monday, March 18, 2013 10:05 AM
  • Making a backup to a network share works aswell.

I was looking at the disk space allocation of the PG, you were talking about, it had 50GB allocated and the sum of all the data is pretty close to that 50GB, so I increased the allocated disk space to 100GB.

Automatically grow the volumes, is cheched btw, not sure if that should work in these kind of situations.

Anyway I will report back with the results, thanks for the suggestions sofar.

Pascal

Monday, March 18, 2013 10:40 AM
  • Since 80% of the problematic servers no longer have problems after increasing the disk space allocated for the replace volume, I am going to assume, that was indeed the problem. Not that I understand how this works fully yet.

For example:

A machine were the size of BMR is 40GB failed with an allocated size of 50GB, and Automatically grow volumes checked.

And it seems auto grow worked in the past as one of the failing machines had a allocated size of 62GB while it now needs 73GB, and started with 50GB.

Thanks for the help!

Monday, March 18, 2013 2:00 PM