none
Sequencing winzip 17.0 with app-v 5.0? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I tried to sequence winzip 17.0 with app-v 5.0 on windows 7 x64, on client test the error message appears: ...."Unable to install over the MSI version of the installation. Please obtain the MSI version or uninstall WinZIP first".I tried to set variable "AssocMsgExe" to 0 inside app-v registry but it's the same issue. Someone have a solution for me?

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:23 PM

All replies

• Be sure to set EXACTLY THE SAME path in PVAD (App-V Sequencer) and Destination Folder (WinZip Setup).

I had the same error (in german "Eine Installation über die MSI-Version ist nicht möglich. Bitte verwenden Sie die MSI-Version oder deinstallieren Sie WinZip zuerst"). Chaning the PVAD to C:\Program Files\WinZip worked for me - even if using a 32-bit instead of of the 64-bit-Version. You can use another path too, provided that Primary Virtual Application Directory (PVAD) and Destination Folder correspond to one another.

• Edited by Oschtiament Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:24 PM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:47 PM
  • To suppress the popup window "WinZIP is not currently associated to..." (german: "Derzeit ist WinZip jedoch nicht mit Zip und Zipx-Dateien verknüpft") after publishing the finished WinZip.appv, the following solution worked for me:

1. At the "Configure Software" stage (during Application Virtualization procedure) execute the WinZip application at least 2 times, close the occasionally "WinZip Tip of the Day"-Windows and wait for some seconds until closing/restarting the app.

The official MS Sequencing Guide says: "Many applications have first-run tasks such as accepting license agreements, etc. [...] multiple executions are recommended to ensure any second-run tasks are executed).  Also, it is during this execution that any applicable application configuration changes should be made. [...] This screen is also running in monitoring mode.  It is possible to manage the tasks for programs that are not listed on this page by launching them outside of the Sequencer."
    2. Executing WinZip a 3rd time, (close Tip-of-the-Day-Window,) leave WinZip open and execute
      reg add "HKCU\Software\Nico Mak Computing\WinZip\WinZip" /v AssocMsgExe /t REG_SZ /d 0 /f in the Start menu search box (or via cmd.exe etc.).
    3. Close WinZip app and execute it again a last (4th) time. Then proceed with App-V sequencer...
    4. At the "Create Pckage" stage select "Continue to modify package without saving the package editor" and go to the "Virtual Registry"-Tab: Verify if REG_SZ AssocMsgExe with value 0 is under USER\[{AppVCurrentUserSID}]\Software\Nico Mak Computing\WinZip\WinZip and save the package.   

That's it!

After publishing on a client-PC the popup should be suppressed. Locking at the registry (after the 1st program start) you should find AssocMsgExe at:

• HKCU\Software\Classes\AppV\Client\Packages\[ Package ID ]\Versions\[ Version ID ]\REGISTRY\USER\[ User ID ]\Software\Nico Mak Computing\WinZip\WinZip
    • HKCR\AppV\Client\Packages\[Package ID]\Versions\[Vdersions ID]\REGISTRY\USER\[User ID]\Software\Nico Mak Computing\WinZip\WinZip

Adding AssocMsgExe to the Virtual Registry inside the Package Editor after the monitoring mode takes no effect: on the 1st start of WinZip you'll see the popup for 1 single time again, because the suppressing REG_SZ will be written not until the first program start. You have to add the SZ during monitoring mode.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:52 PM