taskbar issues: new icon tab shows up (and wlm icon bug) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

first time I got this issue. After creating a new (Windows) account, one program almost systematically launches a new tabbed icon on the taskbar instead of highlighting itself. This program is Firefox (please don't tell me to use IE8 instead, thanks :) ). I've reinstalled it but the issue remains; works fine a couple of times, and then the new tab button shows up, although I have set the taskbar to "always combine, hide label". It's the only program that does this, again, only after creating a new windows profile. Never happened before.

ps: on a side note, why is Windows Live Messenger, when minimized, always getting restored when another window (any window) is minimized, that's really annoying...

thanks.

ps: adding that the two issues are not related
    • Edited by Logos7 Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:11 PM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:07 PM

Answers

• Logos,

For your Firefox problem I'd recommend heading over to the Firefox support forums , as this sounds like a problem with Firefox rather than Windows 7 and Mozilla folks do tend to test against preview OS's to ensure compatibility.

Is this link any help at all with Windows Live Messenger?
    -Alex
    • Marked as answer by Logos7 Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:08 PM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:16 PM

All replies

• Logos,

For your Firefox problem I'd recommend heading over to the Firefox support forums , as this sounds like a problem with Firefox rather than Windows 7 and Mozilla folks do tend to test against preview OS's to ensure compatibility.

-Alex
    • Marked as answer by Logos7 Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:08 PM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:16 PM
  • Logos,

-Alex
    you're probably right  about the firefox forums; I'll drop a message at Mozillazine. Hope they got a Win7 section.
    As to your link about Messenger, yes, it can help, thanks :)

edit: OK it was just as simple as running wlm in Vista compatibility mode to get the old behavior (minimize to tray) back. But this doesn't solve the new behavior bug, when wlm is shows up with all options available from its taskbar icon, and gets unexpectedly restored every time you minimize anything else. No big deal, they'll probably fix that with an update to wlm soon or later, and in the meantime reversing to the old behavior isn't a problem.

edit again: the new behavior, with all menu options are still available from the taskbar, even in vista compatibility mode, so that's a cool fix; sometimes it's the simplest action that works, the only one you'd think is not even worth trying :)
    • Edited by Logos7 Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:57 PM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:44 PM