Install MDM Admin tools on Win7 x64 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Just trying to install the MDM 2008SP1 admin tools onto my workstation, but having issues... I'm running windows 7 x64 (ships with Powershell 2.0) and have the WSUS SP2 console installed already to manage our WSUS infrastructure.

When kicking off the installer i get the following:

Windows PowerShell 1.0 or higher is required to install the Mobile Device Manager Management Console and the Mobile Device Manager Software Distribution Console.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=88364 

The Windows Server Update Services Console 3.0 with SP1 is required to install the Mobile Device Manager Software Distribution Console.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=91522 

Has anybody successfully managed to install the admin tools on Win7?

Cheers!

Jason

Friday, July 30, 2010 1:08 AM

Answers

• Hi, Jason.

You can't install admin tools on workstation under Windows 7, because it shipped with PowerShell 2.0 by default and PowerShell 1.0 can't be installed alongside PowerShell 2.0. :(

WSUS Console is shipped with WSUS installation pack, but during setup you need to choose console only installation.

If you want - you can read about SCMDM installation in last digital Windows IT Pro - http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/0efb8ae9#/0efb8ae9/31 . I think this is very useful article for people who never worked with MDM before.

"Нет высшего наслаждения для интеллигентного человека, чем уничтожить мировой шедевр" ©
    • Proposed as answer by Alexey Vatutin Friday, July 30, 2010 7:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by NoDowt-TMB Sunday, August 1, 2010 10:14 PM
    Friday, July 30, 2010 5:39 AM
  • SCMDM doesn't support work with WSUS SP2. And I can give you an advice - if you install WSUS SP1 for MDM don't upgrade it to SP2 or be ready for troubles with software distribution. More information you can find in this discussion - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/SCMDM/thread/68ce9112-fdfc-4427-b660-8bd7edead9d7 .
    "Нет высшего наслаждения для интеллигентного человека, чем уничтожить мировой шедевр" ©
    Friday, July 30, 2010 6:47 AM
  • Jason,

You can’t install the admin tools on windows 7 but you can configure most of the SCMDM Group Policies from Windows 7. Just copy the mobile.adm, dns.adm, WWANConnection.adm WM_*.adm and any custom .adm files from a successful XP 32bit Admin tools install “C:\windows\inf”  to your Windows 7 box.  Windows 7 admx files seem to be spread throughout the windows directory but “C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions” seems to be the main location so I suggest putting the adm files in there. Fire up “Group Policy Management Editor” and Right click administrative templates,  select “add/remove...” select the adm files you want to add. The settings should appear under “Classic Administrative...”. You can manage all the settings apart from ‘Network Connections’ and ‘Certificates’.

Cheers Wayne
    Airloom

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:10 AM

All replies

• Hi, Jason.

You can't install admin tools on workstation under Windows 7, because it shipped with PowerShell 2.0 by default and PowerShell 1.0 can't be installed alongside PowerShell 2.0. :(

WSUS Console is shipped with WSUS installation pack, but during setup you need to choose console only installation.

If you want - you can read about SCMDM installation in last digital Windows IT Pro - http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/0efb8ae9#/0efb8ae9/31 . I think this is very useful article for people who never worked with MDM before.

Friday, July 30, 2010 5:39 AM
  • Bummer... Was hoping that there would be a way to force it to install with Powershell 2.0 (give that the error says 1.0 or later is required).

As far as the WSUS Console goes... I've already got WSUS SP2 Console installed, so I'm guessing the MDM product doesn't support/recognise that either?

I'll checkout that article & also pass it on to my senior who's actually doing the majority of the work on this project. I get the 'fun' part of working on the customisations of the mobile devices via GPO/Cabs...

Friday, July 30, 2010 5:54 AM
  • SCMDM doesn't support work with WSUS SP2. And I can give you an advice - if you install WSUS SP1 for MDM don't upgrade it to SP2 or be ready for troubles with software distribution. More information you can find in this discussion - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/SCMDM/thread/68ce9112-fdfc-4427-b660-8bd7edead9d7 .
    Friday, July 30, 2010 6:47 AM
  • We'd already been pre-warned about installing WSUS SP1 on our MDM server... That reminds me... I should make sure that update is hidden before someone accidently installs it.

Thanks!

Sunday, August 1, 2010 10:17 PM
  • Jason,

You can’t install the admin tools on windows 7 but you can configure most of the SCMDM Group Policies from Windows 7. Just copy the mobile.adm, dns.adm, WWANConnection.adm WM_*.adm and any custom .adm files from a successful XP 32bit Admin tools install “C:\windows\inf”  to your Windows 7 box.  Windows 7 admx files seem to be spread throughout the windows directory but “C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions” seems to be the main location so I suggest putting the adm files in there. Fire up “Group Policy Management Editor” and Right click administrative templates,  select “add/remove...” select the adm files you want to add. The settings should appear under “Classic Administrative...”. You can manage all the settings apart from ‘Network Connections’ and ‘Certificates’.

Cheers Wayne
    Airloom

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:10 AM
  • so I can't install the GP extensions on my enrollment server or MDM server or my Windows 7 PCs. We have no XP or Vista so how am I supposed to use the tools?????
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:21 PM
  • You can buy XP or Vista on ebay.

www.es-bateria.com
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 11:39 PM