can I keep using Windows Server 2016 outdated builds and for how long? RRS feed

• Question

• I use Windows Server 2016 in typical use scenarios where it's not easily done to migrate builds.

Does anyone know if you can keep using outdated Windows Server 2016 builds after a new major version gets released?

For example I just started using Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5, if Technical Preview 6 would release, will my build stop working, or be set to expire/forced update?

A second question: if Windows Server 2016 gets finished as stable, finished OS, will the Technical preview builds stop working, and if so, suddenly or with warnings/indication of the time it ends? Or will only the support for these builds end?

Monday, August 22, 2016 9:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5 expires December 31, 2016. System Upgrade is not forced once it is expired. 

As these are early pre-release builds, many of the features and scenarios are still in development. Upgrade from previous version to newer version is not always supported.

For example, as official document mentioned:
    When moving from a previous version of Windows Server to Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5, you will need to uninstall the previous version for a clean installation of Technical Preview 5.

Details depends on the documents which are released with the product.

In general, a warning note that the technical preview would expire, and would start shutting down every few hours after that date.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:26 AM
  • Type winver in the start search or do run and winver, the winver screen displays an expiry date.
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 1:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5 expires December 31, 2016. System Upgrade is not forced once it is expired. 

As these are early pre-release builds, many of the features and scenarios are still in development. Upgrade from previous version to newer version is not always supported.

For example, as official document mentioned:
    When moving from a previous version of Windows Server to Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5, you will need to uninstall the previous version for a clean installation of Technical Preview 5.

Details depends on the documents which are released with the product.

In general, a warning note that the technical preview would expire, and would start shutting down every few hours after that date.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:26 AM
  • Type winver in the start search or do run and winver, the winver screen displays an expiry date.
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 1:55 PM