none
Export via Map [Cost] field as number (and not text) RRS feed

• Question

• Using Project Pro 2013 ... I want to export the data from a MPP file via Save As... using a map into an Excel file.  One of the most important column I want exported is [Cost].  Project wants to export it as Text, so that when open the Excel file to convert the data into a Table, then do a Pivot Table summing the text numbers (they only look like numbers... Excel thinks they are text), the sums are zero.  

I know how to use the "trick" convert the text numbers into number numbers in Excel by converting them by multiplying by 1.  That is big waste of time. I'd like to export from Project into an Excel file where the [Cost] field is a number. 

I've tried using a computed number task field [Cost as Number]=val([Cost]), but that doesn't work.

Any other ideas?

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Thursday, October 9, 2014 1:53 PM

Answers

• Rob,

As Guillaume said there are some "bumps" in the export/import functionality. Your best option for a direct process with more flexibility is VBA. For some basic code to export Project data to Excel, see my response in the following post: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/8d9cc020-8763-4825-bf9a-13c111085eca/vba-to-identify-a-group-of-tasks-being-updated?forum=project2010custprog.

If you need further help with the macro, let me know.

John

• Marked as answer by Rob Schneider Saturday, October 11, 2014 8:45 AM
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 3:00 PM

All replies

• Hi rob,

Indeed this is something that could have been improved, since it is the same behavior with Project 2010.

I'm afraid there is no easy way to do what you want, except writing a VBA macro. Maybe some of our VBA folks will jump in the thread and provide you some examples.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCP |

Thursday, October 9, 2014 2:07 PM
  • Rob,

As Guillaume said there are some "bumps" in the export/import functionality. Your best option for a direct process with more flexibility is VBA. For some basic code to export Project data to Excel, see my response in the following post: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/8d9cc020-8763-4825-bf9a-13c111085eca/vba-to-identify-a-group-of-tasks-being-updated?forum=project2010custprog.

If you need further help with the macro, let me know.

John

• Marked as answer by Rob Schneider Saturday, October 11, 2014 8:45 AM
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 3:00 PM
  • Thanks.  For the time being, I'll mess with the data in Excel; then after this deadline I have to get the plan together, I'll go back and write some sort of macro, starting with what you provide. 

It's a pity that Project 2010 to Project 2013, which cost a lot of $$$, didn't address this.

Thursday, October 9, 2014 3:45 PM
  • Rob,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Give it some time, it took the developers about 4 versions to get the Compare Project utility working properly. I know, that's pretty pathetic, and that's why I rely heavily on VBA to implement features beyond the basics.

Just my thoughts.

John

Thursday, October 9, 2014 4:04 PM
  • Over the years have done a lot of VBA stuff; but am happy to see the back side of that. Where I must do programming, I tend to reach to Python.  For this current gig, guess have to dust off VBA.  Thanks!

Saturday, October 11, 2014 8:46 AM
  • Rob,

Interesting, I've never heard of Python, perhaps because Visual Basic, in its VBA form, is the language included in the Microsoft suite of applications, and that's really all I use.

So yeah, dust off your VBA skills and go build something! We're more than happy to help if you run into some problems.

JOhn

Saturday, October 11, 2014 4:33 PM