Dual Monitor Buggery RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, so it's a bit of an odd occurance.

Whenever I restart my PC (Windows 7) or turn it back on after say 10 minutes of being off, the second monitor doesn't work, isn't found, apparently doesn't exist. There is absolutely no changes from when it was working and it often works again if I leave the computer shutdown for a long while. Trying to detect it from display settings doesn't come up with anything either. It doesn't always do this (but mostly it does), and it's getting to the point where I have to go the whole day without the second because I don't have the time to turn off the computer for a few hours.

Edit: I have tried all the different DVI sockets (I have 4 total so have tried the 3 that aren't used from my main screen and the problem persists on all). It's also worth noting that if I go to desktop personalization the unsaved theme shows both backgrounds.

• Edited by MatthewGlottis Sunday, November 27, 2011 9:46 PM more info
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 9:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, this should be a driver issue. I suggest you to update the driver of display card to latest version for a test first.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, December 4, 2011 8:53 AM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, this should be a driver issue. I suggest you to update the driver of display card to latest version for a test first.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, December 4, 2011 8:53 AM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:02 AM
  • Hey, sorry for the late reply but the problem dissapeared for a while and I forgot i'd asked a question. The drivers are fully upto date and the problem isn't persistent.

I have discovered a new component to it however; when I start the computer and it doesn't work (usually if it's been on sometime in the last hour - restart etc) the second monitor is recognised upto the moment windows loads (after password screen), where it then tells me "no signal". The monitor is still available in display setting and i can move the mouse over to the blacked out monitor (and anything that normally loads up on that screen still does so). THAT SAID - mostly it just won't accept it at all as described in first post. When it does this though it resets the second resolution to it's lowest (and chaging it back to what it was doesn't help).

I've basically reached the end of my rope with this issue - no fixes found other than shutting down for several hours and even that isn't a garauntee since it can happen every so often when I turn it on in the morning. Any help would be appreciated.

Monday, January 23, 2012 1:07 PM
  • What video card do you have?

Is it a modern one where the manufacturer is still currently releasing updates, and if so, did you get your drivers from the web site of the manufacturer (opposed to through Windows Update)?

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Monday, January 23, 2012 10:47 PM