How to Dynamic link two or more plug-ins on a virtualized package? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a virtaulized office 2003 pkg. I have two plug-ins for Excel. I created the plug-ins with locally installing the office 2003, so that I can have the working directory path for the osd for th plug-ins.

Now when i Dynamically link the two virtualized plug-ins to the primary virtual package(office 2003). I launch the excel from the office and able to view only ONE plug-in only.

How can I have the excel shortcut from virtual office pkg have both the virtual plug-ins viewable?

TheAppVGuy
    Friday, October 7, 2011 4:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• Which package contains the Excel shortcut? The primary package should, then link the second package to it.

Let's assume that both of the packages contain an Excel shortcut - pick one of the packages as the primary and the other as the secondary.

Linking both packages to each other won't work.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Friday, October 7, 2011 4:20 PM
  • Office 2003 is my primary package which contains the excel shortcut.

I have two different plug-ins in two virtual package.

when i link both the virtual plug-ins packages to the primary package, only one plug-in is available, when i launch the shortcut from primary office package.

pimary package excel osd details::

<CODEBASE HREF="RTSPS://%SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER%:322/MSOFF03.PRO.sft" GUID="A4B41DFE-562A-4001-A66E-9F2E384E0840" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" SYSGUARDFILE="MSOFF03.PRO\osguard.cp" SIZE="1049443770" />
        <WORKINGDIR />
        <VIRTUALENV TERMINATECHILDREN="FALSE">
          <DEPENDENCIES>
            <CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://%SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER%:554/IBM_Cognos_Analysis_Excel_10.1.710.0/IBM_Cognos_Analysis_Excel_10.1.710.0.sft" GUID="94EA6182-6F57-48BD-833F-06FAE7356212" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" SYSGUARDFILE="IBMCAFE.V10\osguard.cp" SIZE="23799847" MANDATORY="TRUE" />
            <CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://%SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER%:554/IBM_Cognos_Go_office_10.1.638.0/IBM_Cognos_Go_office_10.1.638.0.sft" GUID="FC5C1108-D5CE-43B7-98D2-0D7AA030BAA5" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" SYSGUARDFILE="IBMGOOFF.V10\osguard.cp" SIZE="24801840" MANDATORY="TRUE" />
          </DEPENDENCIES>
          <ENVLIST />
        </VIRTUALENV>

TheAppVGuy
    Friday, October 7, 2011 4:29 PM
  • In that case, you could have the same problem as in this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appvgeneralsequencing/thread/160a0a5c-ad59-48a3-aefc-7d440033b745

Excel requires that the Registry values that enable the add-ins are in order. 

Have you checked that both secondary packages are brought into the Office 2003 bubble?

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Friday, October 7, 2011 5:27 PM
  • I just checked...I have two 2003 Excel add-ins. One of them has the "OPEN" registry keys but the other doesnot have.

If I install office 2003 and its add-ins locally, i see both the add-ins in the excel. I have only one "OPEN" reg key and they work both fine, if installed locally.

In case of 2003 office virtual packages, even if i include the script to add the registry key" OPEN1" , "OPEN2", etc...from the above link you provided, only one add-ins work a dn that too, which is the 2nd one. This indicates that there must be a reg key like "OPEN", which the 2nd virtual add-in pkg is overwriting the first one. but , I am not able to find the 2nd "OPEN" keys with one of the add-ins I have.

The script, which i got from the link you provided is  as below:

Set oShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
    Set objArgs = WScript.Arguments
    Addin = objArgs(0)

On Error Resume Next
    Dim objWSH, I
    Dim ctXlaPath
    Dim varReadKey
    Dim ValNTVersion
    Dim ctAddIn

Const ctNTversion = "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\CurrentVersion"

ctXlaPath = Addin
    'msgbox ctXlaPath
    I = 1

Set objWSH  = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

ValNTVersion = objWSH.RegRead(ctNTversion)

If ValNTVersion = "6.1" Then
      ctAddIn = "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Options\OPEN"
     Else
      MsgBox "Unsupported version of Windows NT"
       WScript.Quit
    End If

objWSH.RegRead ctAddIn
    If Err.Number = 0 Then
      Do While Err.Number = 0
        varReadKey = objWSH.RegRead (ctAddIn & I)
        If varReadKey = ctXlaPath Then WScript.Quit
        I = I + 1
     Loop
        objWSH.RegWrite ctAddIn & (I - 1), ctXlaPath
     Else
        objWSH.RegWrite ctAddIn, ctXlaPath
    End If

Set objWSH = Nothing

Could you please advise/suggest on the problem.

Thanks a lot !!!.

TheAppVGuy
    • Edited by TheAppVGuy Monday, October 10, 2011 7:17 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 3:50 PM
  • Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:27 PM
  • Hi,

One of the virtual plug-in pkg has the OPEN registry key and the other virtual plug-in pkg does not have the OPEN registry key. I have the virtualized MS Office 2003  and I dont want these two plug-ins shortcuts. I just want only one shortcut for excel from MS Office 2003 virtual pkg, having both the virtual pkg plug-ins inbuilt with it. For this I performed the DSC linking keeping the primary as MS Off2003 virtual pkg and other two virtual plug-in pkg as secondary to MS Off2003 pkg. This is required for different sets of users requiring different plug-ins , which would be controlled through group policies. Now , when i link these two virtual plug-ins, in the shortcut for Excel via MS Off 2003, I see only one plug-in available., that also second in sequence of dynamic linking. Since one of the plug-ins do not have the OPEN key and I donot know , if it can have the OPEN key, anyhow. The plug-ins to Excel are IBM Cognos Analysis for Excel v10.1 and IBM Go-Office v10.1, bith plug-ins to MS excel. IBM Cognos Analysis for Excel do have the OPEN key as "/A CognosOfficeUDF.Connect" and have a dll of the same name too.  There is no identifiable extension in 2nd plug-in pkg.  I tried with the some manipulation trying for the different dlls connecting to the Go-office plug-in, but it didt work. I tried even with OPEN and OPEN1 keys inside the virtual env  of the primary pkg, with no gain.

Do i need to do something in the msi pkg (to add any reg keys or etc) , before creating the virtual plug-ins pkg or  something else.

Please advise/suggest.

pimary package excel osd details::

<CODEBASE HREF="RTSPS://%SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER%:322/MSOFF03.PRO.sft" GUID="A4B41DFE-562A-4001-A66E-9F2E384E0840" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" SYSGUARDFILE="MSOFF03.PRO\osguard.cp" SIZE="1049443770" />
        <WORKINGDIR />
        <VIRTUALENV TERMINATECHILDREN="FALSE">
          <DEPENDENCIES>
            <CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://%SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER%:554/IBM_Cognos_Analysis_Excel_10.1.710.0/IBM_Cognos_Analysis_Excel_10.1.710.0.sft" GUID="94EA6182-6F57-48BD-833F-06FAE7356212" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" SYSGUARDFILE="IBMCAFE.V10\osguard.cp" SIZE="23799847" MANDATORY="TRUE" />
            <CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://%SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER%:554/IBM_Cognos_Go_office_10.1.638.0/IBM_Cognos_Go_office_10.1.638.0.sft" GUID="FC5C1108-D5CE-43B7-98D2-0D7AA030BAA5" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" SYSGUARDFILE="IBMGOOFF.V10\osguard.cp" SIZE="24801840" MANDATORY="TRUE" />
          </DEPENDENCIES>
          <ENVLIST />
        </VIRTUALENV>

TheAppVGuy
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:37 AM
  • Hello,

Can you make a single package (simply for testing purposes) containing all components (office and both plugins) and have the operate at the same time?

/Znack
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:48 AM