none
how to get 3rd party backup software to use dpmbackup command to get shadow copy weekly RRS feed

• Question

• Hi team, I am planning to use DPM for D2d and netbackup for D2T backup. understand dpmbackup command could be needed to get a replica for netbackup to run backup to tape. any advice on how to configure netbackup to use the dpmbackup command or and document on how to integrate them together so that netbackup can have a weekly fully backup to tape for the replica of my servers, exchanges DAG in my case. and DPM will do daily short term incremental backup to disk only. please advise,thanks!

Thanks and best regards, -- KF

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you don't want to use DPM Disk to Disk to Tape (D2D2T) solution and instead want to utilize a 3rd party backup product for long term offsite tape backups - Using 3rd party to backup

a DPM server is described here:  

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809019.aspx

However, restores of protected data will need to be performed to an alternate location (Not back to the DPM server) by the 3rd party application.

What I mean by this is the 3rd party backup application will be protecting the DPM replica volumes (either directly, or via a snapshot using dpmbackup –replicas) – and if a restore is required of a data that is older than what DPM has on disk, then the restore from tape will need to restore the files to an alternate location – anywhere but the DPM replica, as that will compromise current DPM disk based backups.   Restores from tape should be RARE if they have adequate retention range on DPM disk. 

Basic steps for DPM 2012:

1) Open a ADMINISTRATIVE command prompt and run dpmbackup -replicas
    2) Start the 3rd party backup application and have it backup all the data under the C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy folder.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, June 22, 2013 4:17 PM