Bug in 2003 Operating System MP? - Mount Point Discovery RRS feed

• General discussion

• I currently have a case open on this, and he's checking into the "why" aspect of this, but I thought I'd post here too.

The 2003 Operating System MP (version 6.0.6667.0) has a Mount Point discovery rule in it.  (The 2008 MP probably does too, but I don't have a 2008 server with mount points.)  Anyway, the disks that were being used as mount points were never being discovered.  It turns out that the script the discovery rule runs (Microsoft.Windows.Server.MountPointDiscovery.ModuleType.vbs) requires that the mount point have a LABEL!

Set WMISet = WMIGetInstance("winmgmts:\\" + sTargetComputer + "\root\cimv2", "win32_volume where drivetype=3 and driveletter = null and label <> null")

Now, why the discovery is checking for a label, I don't know.  Once I gave one of my mount points a label, it discovered it, and everything worked fine.  Does anyone know the reasoning behind checking for a label?  Maybe everyone else makes sure their mount points have labels, and I'm the exception.

If nothing else, I thought I'd post it here for future reference, in case it helps someone else out.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:40 PM

All replies

• Thanks sooo much for posting this information.  It saved me a ton of time. 
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 6:35 PM
  • How to check whether the mount point has a label or not. We are facing the same problem.
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 5:22 PM