allow user to write in My Documents in C: RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to setup steady state in a school lab.

(a) Unfortunately, there is no option for a second disk partition. I cannot trust the floppy drives as they are rarely used, so they may have read / write problems, and the usb ports are located on the back of the machines, making them quite inaccessible. Not to mention that they are usb 1.1, and, furthermore, I could not force the kids to buy a usb stick, even if it is very cheap.

Basically, what I need is a way to allow them to save their files, those they work on in class, at their My Documet folder, which is is the default location. This, in conjunction with disk protection on C:,. and the rest of steadystate's features would provide the security and stability we want.

Is this possible? have I missed a feature somewhere?

Because the machines are old, and disk space is limited, I may also be unable to have disk protection on. In this case, how could I again forbid write anywhere else on C:, except inside My Documents folder?

(b) Avast Home free is running on the machines. The icon does not show up with locked accounts? is it still running? Because of the restrictions per se, I cannot check if the associated services are up... If it runs, does it update?

(c) regarding the "block programs" tab, does the left pane imply the applications that are actually allowed to run, and anything else except those, will not run?

I only discovered steadystate today. I hope you help me with your answers ASAP, so that I don't waste time in things that cannot bw done, and get students to work the soonest possible. Thank you, in advance.
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 4:30 PM

Answers

•  

Hi pergeo, I'd like to answer your questions below:

a)      I'm afraid we cannot enable the option "Prevent users from creating folders and files on drive C:\" in the current environment. Otherwise, they're not able to save data on this computer.

b)      Have you enable the restriction "Remove the Control Panel, Printer and Network Setting…" under Windows Restrictions? If you disable this option, you should be able to check the status of Avast on system tray.

c)       Programs list in the left panel of "block programs" is not a "White list". You can add "exe" on the left panel and select any of them to add to the right panel which is a "black list" – blocked programs.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 5:25 AM

All replies

•  

Hi pergeo, I'd like to answer your questions below:

a)      I'm afraid we cannot enable the option "Prevent users from creating folders and files on drive C:\" in the current environment. Otherwise, they're not able to save data on this computer.

b)      Have you enable the restriction "Remove the Control Panel, Printer and Network Setting…" under Windows Restrictions? If you disable this option, you should be able to check the status of Avast on system tray.

c)       Programs list in the left panel of "block programs" is not a "White list". You can add "exe" on the left panel and select any of them to add to the right panel which is a "black list" – blocked programs.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 5:25 AM
  • you could redirect "my documents' to another partition or network share
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:35 AM