Outlook (office 365) - An unexpected error has occurred. RRS feed

• Question

• I have this scenario. New  10 installation. New office 365 installation. All apps are working including Outlook with . After  add windows 10 to the Azure AD and switch to the new account outlook can not start just : "An unexpected error has occurred."
    Any idea why this happening?

• Moved by Alice-Wang Wednesday, January 10, 2018 1:42 AM move to proper forum
    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 4:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Alex,

Our forum is focus on Microsoft Teams, so I will move this issue to outlook forum, there are more experts will help you with the question, thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Alice-Wang Wednesday, January 10, 2018 1:41 AM
    Wednesday, January 10, 2018 1:41 AM
  • Hi Alex,

What does "Outlook (office 365)" refer to in the description? The Outlook online app or the Outlook desktop app?

Is there any other user affected by this issue? Since this issue happens after adding Windows 10 to Azure AD, if you are the admin, I'd recommend you first check and verify your Azure AD has be configured correctly.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, January 15, 2018 8:59 AM
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:46 AM
  • Hi, I have one theory on this. You do Azure AD Join and your AAD DisplayName contain some special characters.

Windows 10 does not use for UserName the AAD UserName, but DisplayName. And remove only some special characters like ()|. Windows 10 handle this profile path correctly.

But Outlook does not handle this, because create OST and registry keys linking to profile path in C:\Users\DisplayName and it fails. So this is the case for error.

If you remove special characters from DisplayName and make a new profile, it will work. It will also work, if you change in registry your profile path. Or turn off ZeroAutoConfig and create profile for Outlook in different path like C:\Outlook.

We have same problems with Czech characters "ěščřžýáí".

Correct solution will be:

• Outlook can handle this characters
    • Windows use different attribute for profile name

Other programs has same problems, like Cisco VPN which fixed in recent build.

Tuesday, September 4, 2018 8:57 AM
  • There is a older KB mentioning that Outlook does not support these characters - https://support.microsoft.com/en-ae/help/961100/errors-when-you-start-outlook-and-your-windows-user-account-contains-u

So I hope, that Windows Team with AAD solve the issue which trigger this, or Outlook team starts supporting this.

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 1:45 PM