none
Project Pro 2016 Gantt Bar Bug? RRS feed

• Question

• When I create a new task in Pro 2016, the Task Bar does not appear in the Gantt view until I link a task to it. It stays visible after that, even unlinking it and moving it around. Has anyone else seen this? Other than the workaround I just described is there anything else I should be doing? Thanks.

- L

Langhorne

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 4:15 PM

Answers

• In Project Pro 2016, the default task mode is Manually Scheduled.  the 1st time to link to a manually scheduled task, it will move, and perhaps it is moving within the date range you have in your gantt chart. 

Are you sure you have start, finish and duration for your task - if so, can you scroll to it.  You need these three fields to enable the bar to be drawn

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

• Marked as answer by Langhorne Wednesday, November 11, 2015 7:09 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 4:39 PM
  • Langhorne --

If you are using Manually Scheduled tasks, which Ben Howard indicated is the default, and you type the name of a task without a Duration, Start date, or Finish date, then Microsoft 2010, 2013, and 2016 will not display a Gantt bar for the new task.  This is the default behavior of all three versions of the tool because the task is currently unscheduled (no Duration, Start date, or Finish date).

When you link an unscheduled Manually Scheduled task with a Predecessor task, then Microsoft Project 2010, 2013, and 2015 will infer a Duration of 1 day and will calculate a Start date and Finish date for the Manually Scheduled task.  At this point, the software does display a Gantt bar for the task.

I personally do not use Manually Scheduled tasks except in rare situations where I need this functionality.  I would recommend you use Auto Scheduled as your default Task Mode setting.  I think it will give you better and more predictable results.  Hope this additional information helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 6:11 PM

All replies

• In Project Pro 2016, the default task mode is Manually Scheduled.  the 1st time to link to a manually scheduled task, it will move, and perhaps it is moving within the date range you have in your gantt chart. 

Are you sure you have start, finish and duration for your task - if so, can you scroll to it.  You need these three fields to enable the bar to be drawn

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 4:39 PM
  • Langhorne --

If you are using Manually Scheduled tasks, which Ben Howard indicated is the default, and you type the name of a task without a Duration, Start date, or Finish date, then Microsoft 2010, 2013, and 2016 will not display a Gantt bar for the new task.  This is the default behavior of all three versions of the tool because the task is currently unscheduled (no Duration, Start date, or Finish date).

When you link an unscheduled Manually Scheduled task with a Predecessor task, then Microsoft Project 2010, 2013, and 2015 will infer a Duration of 1 day and will calculate a Start date and Finish date for the Manually Scheduled task.  At this point, the software does display a Gantt bar for the task.

I personally do not use Manually Scheduled tasks except in rare situations where I need this functionality.  I would recommend you use Auto Scheduled as your default Task Mode setting.  I think it will give you better and more predictable results.  Hope this additional information helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 6:11 PM
  • Thanks, Ben and Dale (you two related?). I have been using auto scheduled tasks as the default for so long that I forgot (or never knew) the behavior you describe for manual. That definitely is the answer and it now behaves itself just fine. Sorry, Microsoft, for suggesting there might be a bug lurking somewhere in there...

- L

Langhorne

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 7:09 PM
  • L --

As far as we can tell, Ben and I are not related, however, we refer to each other as "cousin".  :)  Glad our answers worked for you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 7:23 PM