Replacing Win10 HDD with Win7 HDD RRS feed

• Question

• I regularly clone my Windows 7 Pro HDD to another HDD as backup. If I upgrade the original to Windows 10 Pro, don't like it and replace the Win10 HDD with the backup Win7 HDD, should that work without a problem?  Is there anything, related to hardware, BIOS, etc. that Win10 would change so that, swapping a Win7 HDD back in would not work? Thanks.
    Saturday, June 11, 2016 1:04 PM

Answers

• shouldn't, for the most part windows 10 concerning bios is the same changes with windows 8 IE new features you can opt into but nothing that would cause more than momentary frustration when switching back to the old boot loader. 

That said your more exotic parts may infact have something specific for windows 10 but these shouldn't be an issue unless you turn them on yourself.

• Marked as answer by GriffPA Tuesday, June 14, 2016 11:54 AM
    Saturday, June 11, 2016 1:06 PM

All replies

• shouldn't, for the most part windows 10 concerning bios is the same changes with windows 8 IE new features you can opt into but nothing that would cause more than momentary frustration when switching back to the old boot loader. 

That said your more exotic parts may infact have something specific for windows 10 but these shouldn't be an issue unless you turn them on yourself.

• Marked as answer by GriffPA Tuesday, June 14, 2016 11:54 AM
    Saturday, June 11, 2016 1:06 PM
  • If you choose clone system partition for backup, I am afraid that you need to ask clone software support for assistance, Windows doesn’t have clone feature.

In my opinion, we don’t need to worry about Windows 10’s performance, after upgrade, if you feel unsatisfied, you can downgrade to Windows 7 easily. If you want to back up your C partition, I suggest to use system image backup, this way is built-in Windows, you could find out it in Control Panel.

Regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, June 13, 2016 6:55 AM
  • If the win 7 clone includes the hidden system partition it should work.  It does need to be an exact copy.  I have been doing exactly this when I need to run win 7 and dont feel like creating a Hyper-V virtual machine.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Monday, June 13, 2016 9:50 AM
  • Thanks for the info. I clone my HDD via the Paragon Backup software using the 'raw copy' option. I assume that it's a complete copy of the drive. 
    Tuesday, June 14, 2016 11:52 AM
  • Since I use the Paragon Backup software's 'raw copy' option, I should have a complete copy of the drive so, I agree with your comment, that it should work ok. Thanks.
    Tuesday, June 14, 2016 11:53 AM
  • Thanks.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 11:54 AM