Remove an virtual application on the server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

Sorry for my poor english...

I have a question. When I remove an application on the server app-v, on the client, the package is always here, even if I make an update... Is there a way to properly remove a virtual application ?

Thank yous so much :-)
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 3:04 PM

Answers

• Hi

if you are using App-V 4.5, then you could use

SFTMIME DELETE obj:app /global   (deletes all application records, must be run by an administrator)

For the shortcuts: ther is a "Permission" called  "Publish Shortcuts" that should toggle this. It can be adjusted via the registry
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Client\Permissions
    PublishShortcut (set it to 0)
    Note that this only limits non-administrative users. Local Admins on the client machine still will have this option.

But this only prevents users from creating a shortcut from out of the App-V Client MMC. If they simply Copy&Paste a shortcut from the start menu to their desktop, this still would be possible (well, you could disable ContextMenus + Drag&Drop for the StartMenu, but this might go too far)

Falko
    • Marked as answer by user_007 Monday, October 26, 2009 11:27 AM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:27 PM
  • To remove an application, a good way is to DISABLE it on the Server Management Console first for a while.
    When a user logs on to the client, the client recoginces that this application is not valid for the user any longer and usually deletes its shortcuts and file type associations.

After a certain time (when you expect that every user loged on at least once), you may delete the application from the App-V (Server) Management console.

This - by the way - also should work if you already removed the application before: simply publish it again (with no user assigned or with the "Enabled" scheckbox unselected) and it should "remove" all the shortcuts after a while.

Please note that as an administrator you will see the application in the Client Management Console until it is "really" removed from the client (done by a client-side action, as Kalle wrote).

So, for the user's perspective, disable the application on the server. For the "real" effects, you have to act on the client.

One approach for doing this could be to fire SFTMIME DELETE PACKAGE:<PackageName> that removes almoste everything (except user settings) 

Falko
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, October 12, 2009 3:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by user_007 Monday, October 26, 2009 11:26 AM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 2:55 PM
  • Hello,

The name you are seeing as subdirectory names are not package names, but rather name of the root directory inside the package + package unique ID.

You can see what's the package name (as recognized by the client) by looking at App-V Client Management Console's application list, and adding additional column (from View menu) called "Package name" or "Package". Alternatively, you can see name of the package by running "sftmime query obj:package /short". The name is the first column in a row.

br,
    Kalle

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:44 AM

All replies

• Yes, you can delete the package away from the client but the catch is, you have to do it in the client! Use client management console and "Delete" or "Unload" command on the application.

There is no central way to remove unpublished package from clients that have been using it previously.

/Kalle

Thursday, October 8, 2009 1:24 PM
  • Hi Kalle,

Thank you for your answer.

Ok... It's not good I think. It should have a central administration. We have app-v in test on approximately 50 pcs. But we have approximately 800 computers. You see the problem when an application is deleted...

Do you know if in another version there is a central administration ?

Thank you very much.
    Friday, October 9, 2009 12:33 PM
  • Hello,

Yes, it's unfortunate but it seems that there's not going to be any such changes in the product in the near term as it looks like Microsoft is investing more on the SCCM integration [with App-V], rather than making Management Server more feature-rich..

What do you mean by "another version"?

/Kalle
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 9:47 AM
  • To remove an application, a good way is to DISABLE it on the Server Management Console first for a while.
    When a user logs on to the client, the client recoginces that this application is not valid for the user any longer and usually deletes its shortcuts and file type associations.

After a certain time (when you expect that every user loged on at least once), you may delete the application from the App-V (Server) Management console.

This - by the way - also should work if you already removed the application before: simply publish it again (with no user assigned or with the "Enabled" scheckbox unselected) and it should "remove" all the shortcuts after a while.

Please note that as an administrator you will see the application in the Client Management Console until it is "really" removed from the client (done by a client-side action, as Kalle wrote).

So, for the user's perspective, disable the application on the server. For the "real" effects, you have to act on the client.

One approach for doing this could be to fire SFTMIME DELETE PACKAGE:<PackageName> that removes almoste everything (except user settings) 

Falko
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, October 12, 2009 3:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by user_007 Monday, October 26, 2009 11:26 AM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 2:55 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your explication Falco. It's a very good way ! I shall make it in the future.

Is there a command to delete packages for every user ? (like SFTMIME)

Thank you very much, it's a good idea.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:04 AM
  • Hi... Another question.

I try to use "SFTMIME DELETE PACKAGE" but I have a problem.
    On a computer client, I look at the "AppFS Storage". I have for example this package :

7-ZIP.465-54F37AEC-3131-46AD
        ADMPACK-3B448CF5-E44D-41B8
        AREADER.9-544918A0-3E58-4A02
        CCLEANER.221-406F3904-1B56-42FF
        COREL-C1DB5332-646A-44DB

I would like to remove Ccleaner, so I open a command prompt and write : SFTMIME DELETE PACKAGE:CCLEANER.221-406F3904-1B56-42FF
    But I have for response : the command line isn't correct. The package doesn't exist.

Do you know what I do wrong ?

Thank you so much.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:42 AM
  • Hello,

The name you are seeing as subdirectory names are not package names, but rather name of the root directory inside the package + package unique ID.

You can see what's the package name (as recognized by the client) by looking at App-V Client Management Console's application list, and adding additional column (from View menu) called "Package name" or "Package". Alternatively, you can see name of the package by running "sftmime query obj:package /short". The name is the first column in a row.

br,
    Kalle

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:44 AM
  • ... and don't get confused if you "only" see a GUID instead of the package name. You can use this GUID or the Package name (as Kalle described).
    Also, if you open the application's OSD there is an attribute <PACKAGE> that requiredthe desired string
    (you see, many ways lead to Rome, and that's still not all of them).

Falko
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 11:16 AM
  • Oh thanks a lot !!!

And is there a command to delete all ? (package for all users and for any user of the computer) ?

Another question... Is it possible to forbid the creation of shotcut to the users ? I explain. By default, I create shortcut in the start menu. But some persons created other shortcut, on the desktop for example. And when I delete the package, shortcut that they created are not remove... I don't know if you understand. Sorry for my poor english.

Thanks a lot and have a nice evening :-)
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:26 PM
  • Hi

if you are using App-V 4.5, then you could use

SFTMIME DELETE obj:app /global   (deletes all application records, must be run by an administrator)

For the shortcuts: ther is a "Permission" called  "Publish Shortcuts" that should toggle this. It can be adjusted via the registry
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Client\Permissions
    PublishShortcut (set it to 0)
    Note that this only limits non-administrative users. Local Admins on the client machine still will have this option.

But this only prevents users from creating a shortcut from out of the App-V Client MMC. If they simply Copy&Paste a shortcut from the start menu to their desktop, this still would be possible (well, you could disable ContextMenus + Drag&Drop for the StartMenu, but this might go too far)

Falko
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:27 PM
  • Hello :-)

Yes I use App-v 4.5

Yes this command deletes all applications (SFTMIME DELETE obj:app /global). The folder on the specific user login doesn't remove. It's empty but present.
    Is it possible to delete like (SFTMIME DELETE obj:app /global) only one package ? And not all ?

I know this command (PublishShortcut), but as you say, the users can create shotcuts from out of the app-v client MMC.

Thank you very much for your quickly and good answer.
    Have a nice day.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 7:34 AM
  • Hello,

The documentation for the SFTMIME command is always a good start;
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc817090.aspx

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Friday, October 16, 2009 7:47 AM
    Friday, October 16, 2009 7:44 AM
  • Hi,

the "obj:SOMETHING" is more like a general palceholder. You may use app: <ApplicationName> instead

The precise syntax can be found at the link Znack posted
    Falko
    Monday, October 19, 2009 11:24 AM
  • Hi everybody,

Thanks a lot for all your help ! It's very nice :-)

Have a nice day.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 11:26 AM