none
Server 2010 Workflow simplification RRS feed

• Question

• My project group focuses on sold projects for external customers. We have no need for the portfolio analysis functionality for picking projects, but I do like the Project Server 2010 workflow for tracking projects through phases (i.e., initiating, planning, executing, closing, etc.).

Are there instructions on how to simplify/shorten the workflow without having to use Visual Studio? Currently I do not use the workflow and just have a custom field called "Phase" I use for grouping, but I'd like to use the built-in workflow if it's not significant work to customize.

Monday, December 16, 2013 2:23 PM

All replies

• Hi wsg2,

Actually in PS2010, you have to go through Visual Studio to create and deploy a workflow (even to customize the native workflow). The out-of-the-box demand management workflow is just a sample provided by Microsoft, meaning that it is not intended to be used in production.

As a workaround to Visual Studio, Microsoft partners provides third party tools to create and deploy PS2010 demand management workflows. Those tools don't require any code.

Here is a useful link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff459292(v=office.14).aspx

Note that with PS2013, Sharepoint Designer can be used to create workflows.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Monday, December 16, 2013 2:31 PM
  • In Project Server 2010 you have to have use visual studio for workflow creation and customization of default workflow As SharePoint designer 2010 does not support for workflow creation 

If you don't want to use Visual Studio then you can use Nintex workflow for project server a third party workflow tool in which you can create workflow without coding.

You can install trail version which will create few databases to store data in sql server for testing purpose.

kirtesh

Monday, December 16, 2013 5:02 PM