none
SCDPM BMR Physical to Virtual step by step procedure (media) RRS feed

• Question

• Ok I have several BMR backup ready made with DPM2010. I would like to restore them  to Hyper-v environment, for testing.

Problem that i have is, that WinRE or just plain windows setup does not recognize that these are Windows Image Backups.

I did manipulate structure of files and folders, that mimic the same structure as it would be make under Windows Bare metal backup, but  that does not help.

So if i understand, i have to make recovery media with DPM 2010, so it will recognize that backup.

The second part of the question is, how it  correct way to do BMR to different hardware. Ok From Physical (HP DL360G6) to Hyper-V  (2008 R2 ). I didn't  get information, that is not or it is possible
    Monday, April 11, 2011 3:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

the only supported manner to restore a BMR backup is to restore on the same hardware as the protected computer.

In your case, Physical --> Virtual using BMR isn't supported.

Monday, April 11, 2011 4:48 PM

All replies

• Ok I fix first error, with Windows Image restore, I mess up folders. But now when recovery starts I get  the following error :

The system image restore failed.

No disk that can be used for recovering the system disk can be found. Details

I use IDE disk, and I can see it, but I did not excluded it.

Monday, April 11, 2011 4:34 PM
  • Hi,

the only supported manner to restore a BMR backup is to restore on the same hardware as the protected computer.

In your case, Physical --> Virtual using BMR isn't supported.

Monday, April 11, 2011 4:48 PM
  • Pleas show me under official MS site like : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634241.aspx, where it is written this. The product is useless, that than i must use P2V converter  with other system center product. I can use other "cheaper" product, that can do that job.

Monday, April 11, 2011 5:58 PM
  • Hi,

Its not supported, but it typically works. I just completed a BMR from a Windows Backup (basically the same) to different hardware.

As for your disk problem, it sounds like your disk may be too small. You need to have the destination disk be slightly larger (10%) than the one you are trying to restore.

Here's my high level step-by-step for restoring a physical machine's backup to Hyper-V. My backup was on a USB drive, which forced me to involve another VM. This is due to the inability to attach a USB drive to a VM after it has booted.

1.    Move WindowsImageBackup folder to root of a drive attached to the host
    2.    Spin up fresh Win2008 server OS with Windows Backup feature installed
    3.    Create and attach drive(s) slightly larger than the drives you will be restoring
    4.    Open Disk Management and perform Quick Format of Drives
    5.    Launch Windows Server Backup in new OS
    6.    Choose Restore-> Another server
    7.    Choose your backup source
    8.    Choose your backup type (Volumes)
    9.    Map the recovered drives to your new drives
    10.    Start restore
    11.    Configure a VM to use the restored C: and Boot into recovery console from Windows CD
    12.    Use DiskPart to make the partition active
    13.    Set the partition as bootable using the following commands
            a.    bootrec / fixmbr
            b.    bootrec /fixboot
            c.    Bootrec /rebuildbcd

Good luck!

Jesse

Monday, April 11, 2011 6:51 PM
  • It works , but i get standard stop 7B error
    Monday, April 11, 2011 8:11 PM
  • I fix First part. The system image restore failed. I use a bit smaller disk as it should be. Now I put 200GB, and it went through, but after reboot : well stop error 7 B:

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:56 AM