none
Problem opening the same file in branches and matrix (DFS) RRS feed

• Question

• We have the following situation :

We have a matrix that we will call LojaM and 2 branches that we call LojaSP which is in Sao Paulo and a LojaRJ which is in Rio de Janeiro .

We as file distribution DFS between them . In each location we have allocated files , which are replicated among themselves by DFS , except that each uses the file directory of your drive , it would not make sense to use the files from LojaSP LojaM , because it would use internet bandwidth .

The problem that the DFS is not opening files . So to understand , below the file structure on the servers of each unit mapped .

LojaM : User maps here : \ \ lojaM \ files \ finance \

LojaSP : User maps here : \ \ lojaSP \ files \ finance \

LojaRJ : User maps here : \ \ lojaRJ \ files \ finance \

In this case the files in these folders are replicated to each other by DFS , but since the path is the same, only changing the source ( in this case the server ) , you can open the same file in another location , because DFS does not perform treatment of open files .

So I have the file in the DFS financeiro_dados.xml units \ files \ finance \

What should happen if I open this file there 's LojaSP , to be in the same folder replication units , he should prevent another user had the ability to open the file . In this case the opposite happens , the user opens the file LojaSP financeiro_dados.xml , and the user opens the same file LojaM financeiro_dados.xml . Hence the two are editing at the same time , the last to save overrides to change the other .

Because then the units do not map to the same location ? Why give would be consuming high bandwidth internet / network to access a file that is allocated to your unit .

I wanted to find a solution that would make the distribution of files between drives and also took control of the files , so if someone LojaSP financeiro_dados.xml open the file , other users and LojaM LojaRJ would be prevented if you change the file financeiro_dados.xml because it is already open in LojaSP .

Do not know if it understood the situation , if not more , can explain otherwise .
    Tuesday, November 5, 2013 1:48 PM

Answers

• So we are give up to using DFS in this situation. We now just use the DFS as a "online backup" of files.

Thanks for the help.
    • Marked as answer by MarceloGuedes Monday, August 4, 2014 5:28 PM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:16 AM

All replies

• Hello Sir,

Wrong place to post the question. please contact your application vendor for support. :D

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 7:15 AM
  • Sorry Crystal but i dont think this is the wrong place, and Microsoft is the application vendor and support, so this is the right place.

And about this section - IT Management Planning and Technology

Join the discussions on IT management Community Hub with Microsoft IT Evangelists to discuss the major IT Management topics and specific challenges and issues do Managers of IT organizations face today. Share your problems and also share the solutions you came up at your IT organizations with your peers.

This is a issue and challange that my organization faces today, and as i see the Micrososft don't have a solution about locking files with DFS. So im sharing my problem and see if anyone here in this section has a solution.

Because I need to implement a technology environment for customers using tools and applications from Microsoft, include this scenario with DFS solution.

• Edited by MarceloGuedes Wednesday, November 6, 2013 4:54 PM grammar
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 4:50 PM
  • So we are give up to using DFS in this situation. We now just use the DFS as a "online backup" of files.

Thanks for the help.
    • Marked as answer by MarceloGuedes Monday, August 4, 2014 5:28 PM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:16 AM