ERROR after linking 2 apps using DSC RRS feed

• Question

• I have a requirement to link 2 applications using DSC

When I linked both the applications using DSC and launch the shortcut I am getting the attached error

When I manually install dependency app, the primary app is working perfectly fine

PFB OSD

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
    <SOFTPKG GUID="CD17FFD3-5CE9-460C-8786-08651BF01B6C" NAME="transACT (V)" VERSION="5.0">
     <IMPLEMENTATION>
      <CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://%SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER%:554/ManulifeFinancial_transACT_5.0/ManulifeFinancial_transACT_5.0.sft" GUID="5DE239BF-F5E7-4CFA-963D-8ECAFF960AB0" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\Manulife Financial\transACT\ETS.exe" SYSGUARDFILE="MFTRACT5.V01\osguard.cp" SIZE="21963972"/>
      <VIRTUALENV TERMINATECHILDREN="FALSE">
    <DEPENDENCIES>
    <CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://%SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER%:554/Manulife_DiamondViewFrameWork_4.5.2/Manulife_DiamondViewFrameWork_4.5.2.sft" GUID="B9E02D70-8985-4A1D-8D42-D875F3692827" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="MFDVFWk4.V01\VFS\CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES_COMMON\Manulife Financial\OLifE\Dbsetup.exe" SYSGUARDFILE="MFDVFWk4.V01\osguard.cp" SIZE="26441735"/>
    </DEPENDENCIES>
       <POLICIES>
        <LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>FALSE</LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>
       </POLICIES>
       <ENVLIST/>
      </VIRTUALENV>
      <WORKINGDIR>%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\Manulife Financial\transACT\</WORKINGDIR>
      <VM VALUE="Win32">
       <SUBSYSTEM VALUE="windows"/>
      </VM>
     </IMPLEMENTATION>
     <DEPENDENCY>
      <CLIENTVERSION VERSION="4.6.0.0"/>
     </DEPENDENCY>
     <PACKAGE NAME="ManulifeFinancial_transACT_5.0"/>
     <ABSTRACT>NagaRamyaSri Cognizant 12/21/2012</ABSTRACT>
     <MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
      <SHORTCUT LOCATION="%CSIDL_PROGRAMS%\Manulife Financial\transACT" FILENAME="transACT.lnk" OVERRIDDEN="TRUE" DISPLAY="transACT (V)" ICON="%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/ManulifeFinancial_transACT_5.0 Icons/transACT.ico"/>
     </MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
     <MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
      <PROGIDLIST/>
      <FILEEXTENSIONLIST/>
     </MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
    </SOFTPKG>

Monday, December 24, 2012 10:49 AM

All replies

• Have you check with Process Monitor to determine which process is attempting to access which registry key to determine what the cause is?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Monday, December 24, 2012 11:31 PM
  • I am not getting any process monitor. Any idea why the above error causes
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 9:12 AM
  • Maybe your second application isn't streamed yet? Try to add MANDATORY="TRUE" to the CODEBASE-tag:

<DEPENDENCIES>
        <CODEBASE HREF="RTSP:..      MANDATORY="TRUE" />

This way the second application is streamed first, before the primary application is launched.

Another thing, maybe the primary application is looking for a registry key. Just to check if the second application is installed or not.

Run ProcMon to troubleshoot this, like Aaron mentioned.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 1:48 PM
  • Hello,
    What happens if you create a single package containing all the components?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Saturday, December 29, 2012 5:53 PM
  • Its working when I clubbed both the apps in a single bubble.

But we have another dependency to the above if when we link we getting the above error

In procmon, source is trying to access in HKCR and HKCU. (Registries are in HKLM). whereas sequenced app is only trying to view in HKCU not in HKCR/HKLM. That why we are getting the issue. Any idea how to redirect the exe to look into HKCR/HKLM instead of HKCU

Note: We have a 64bit build

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 9:25 AM

• Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 9:38 AM
  • I resolved the issue but there is another problem

The dependent application has a registry hive where there are bunch of registries HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/XX.xx

The primary application has couple more registries in the same hive.

When I linked through DSC, open regedit of primary application, I could not see primary app registries rather I was able to see dependent registries. I manually imported primary app registry keys and then worked

Dependent registry: settings are overide local key

Primary app.. I tried merge with local key but no result

any idea how to get the app view primary app registries

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 1:57 PM
  • See this resource that will explain DSC and layering of registry and folder paths:

I would recommend that the registry path exists in only one of the packages.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, January 4, 2013 2:55 AM