none
Windows 10 update crash with "There isn't enough memory to create a ramdisk device."

Question

• Why is Microsoft not able to let us know that updates/upgrades crash if there is drive letter "X" assigned on the current OS?

Years ago I had this the first time when I upgrade all my Windows 7 systems to Windows 8. I waste so much time when it happend first and it's still an existing problem. If the upgrade is not able to use "any free drive letter" please let us know that we have to release "X" for the upgrade . . . .

In case of this problem: open "Computer Management" go to "Disk Management" search for the partition assigned to "X" right click them and select "Change Driver Letter and Path..." and "Change" to any free letter to release "X" for the upgrade ram disk.

• Edited by Juergen_P Saturday, April 8, 2017 8:22 PM
    Saturday, April 8, 2017 8:16 PM

All replies

• Kindly post at MDT Forum:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=mdt

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

Sunday, April 9, 2017 1:24 AM
  • Hi, 

Q: Why does Windows PE always use X: as its boot letter? PE is the one phase during installation or upgrade. 

A: Beginning with Windows PE 2004, the boot drive is assigned the drive letter "X". It changed both for consistency (so you always know which drive is your Windows PE drive) and because certain components added to Windows PE with Service Pack 1 required a consistent boot drive letter to work.

I can understand your concern, and Please submit your feedback onto the Build-in Feedback Hub, and also, I will also log a recorder in our platform. 

Thanks for your feedback and understanding of this designed issue. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:11 AM