Weather Gadget not working RRS feed

• Question

• My weather gadget doesn't work from few days. Says cannot connect to service. 

Steps tired:

- Disabling Firewall.
    - Unchecking "Automatically Detect Settings" from inetcpl.cpl
    - Adding a registry DWord Value "AllowElevatedProcess" with the value 1, HKCU >> Software >> Microsoft >> Windows >> Currentversion >> Sidebar >> Settings.

Still no joy.

Any inputs on the same, is appreciated. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit.

* Created a New thread, as no response found on old since 48 hours.

Chethan Kumar.

Chethan Kumar.
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:57 AM

Answers

• Hi,

With that in mind, it could be a connection issue. If you have a router involved, please bypass it and connect to internet directly. Any firewall, please disable it.Also try control panel - internet options - connections tab - LAN settings, then uncheck automatically detect settings.

Good luck.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Magon Liu Friday, July 30, 2010 11:12 AM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 4:23 AM

All replies

• Here is a discussion on Microsoft Answers with some suggestions:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaappearance/thread/bc59110d-1a1e-4ba2-b433-db6a41f95a18

I hope this helps,

Oliver

Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:29 PM
  • Hey Oliver, 

Thanks for your response. 

This link looks like it is for Vista and doesn't work on my machine.

Any inputs on the Windows 7 Gadgets issue. 

Chethan Kumar.
    Friday, July 23, 2010 7:01 AM
  • Hi,

When did this issue occur for the first time? Can you associate with any software\hardware change?

Are you getting this error message with all the gadgets or with any particular gadget?

I would suggest prepare clean boot to find out the root cause of the problem are given below:

Clean Boot prevents software conflicts by preventing the startup items and non Microsoft services from loading. This way you can safely follow the process of elimination to check which application is causing this behavior.

Refer:
    How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    Note: Ensure that you put your computer back to normal startup mode after completing the troubleshooting steps. Steps are available in the article given above.

Good luck.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, July 23, 2010 11:53 AM
  • Hi Magon,

Issue occurred sometime back. This is not because of any software/hardware change. 

I generally don't use any Gadgets apart Weather and the Currency converter. Right now, the second Gadget is working fine, issue is only with Weather Gadget. 

Issue is still the same in Clean Boot.

Any other suggestions !!!

Chethan Kumar.
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 1:41 PM
  • Remove the weather gadget from the desktop.

Restart the computer.

Add the weather gadget.

Right click the gadget or click on the tool icon and select options.

Choose your location and temperature display.

Any luck?

If it was set to automatic and you have sensors disabled, it will not work. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Using-location-and-other-sensors

Sunday, July 25, 2010 12:18 PM
  • Hi,

With that in mind, it could be a connection issue. If you have a router involved, please bypass it and connect to internet directly. Any firewall, please disable it.Also try control panel - internet options - connections tab - LAN settings, then uncheck automatically detect settings.

Good luck.

• Marked as answer by Magon Liu Friday, July 30, 2010 11:12 AM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 4:23 AM