none
Project Server SP2 and MS Project SP2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi:

We have several customers on Project Server 2010.  They do not have an automated way to deploy service packs or CUs to the desktop client.  Because of this, we have to be even more careful when patching their environments, as it has to be coordinated very exactly.

My question is as follows:  For Project Server/SharePoint Server 2010 SP2 - if the server is patched to SP2,  can you still use a desktop client that is only patched to SP1, or does Microsoft PPro 2010 have to be patched to SP2 in order to connect and work?

I've experienced that in previous iterations of Project Server, and I'm wondering if any body knows the answer to this?

I know that it is best practice and to avoid any anomalies all clients should be patched to SP2, but what I want to avoid is for those users that don't use the download link, will they be locked out of the system?

Thank you so much for your help!

Michelle

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 10:13 PM

Answers

• Hello, as you state, it is best practice for the project pro clients to be at the same patch as the server but an SP1 client can connect to an SP2 project server farm. The only time this wouldn't work is if you update the server settings to restrict the version of project pro that could connect. Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Thursday, May 15, 2014 12:08 AM