Collecting data... RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Server 2008 Standard 32 bit with Service Pack 2.  Brand new Dell PowerEdge server.  Just installed everything including SQL Server 2008 with SP1.  I rebooted the server because of two windows updates.  The system hung coming backup up at "Configuring Udpates, stage 3 of 3 0%".  I waited it out for about 15 minutes and then powered it down and back up.  It came back up to the same message so I left it for the night.  The next morning I was able to log in but found several issues.
    Server manager Roles and Features do not refresh- it will sit at "Collecting data..." and never give an error message.  (I left it sit for 45 minutes)
    If you click on IE 8 icon, the hourglass will appear for a second and then go away and IE will not launch.  (therefore unable to connect to internet)
    It will not let you install/uninstall anything.  The system will hang trying to install a program due to Windows installer hanging and Add/Remove programs will never populate - just sits there with an hourglass)
    Unable to RDP into the server but it does answer pings and the shares all work.  (RDP worked before the issue).
    The network icon has a red X despite being able to ping and the shares all work.
    The Network and Sharing center will never open - it just sits there with an hourglass and never populates.
    I tried running SFC /SCANNOW from command prompt and it never finishes - let it run for 1 hour.
    I suspected a system wide DCOM setting change I made may have caused this.... however I am unable to "undo" the change as DCOMCNFG.exe will not respond either.  I click on MY COMPUTER in DCOMCNFG to expand it and it just hangs forever.  (the change I made was to set the Default Authentication level for DCOM to "NONE")
    mconfig will not open up either.

Any ideas....
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 8:46 PM

Answers

• I had the same and found the solution in the c:\windows\logs\cbs.log file.

I received the following error:

Pending transaction content must be resolved, cannot begin another transaction yet

A search on the Microsoft site revealed the following knowledge base article: 

Cause

The TrustedInstaller service changes the default service startup type of Manual (3) to Automatic (2), when it encounters an update that has to process a transaction after a restart.   When the value is set back to Manual before the restart the transaction that has to be applied after restart cannot be applied.  This transaction will be pended. It will block all other update installations that might come up. 

Resolution

If updates are not applied, check the value of the registry key: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TrustedInstaller\Start  

The default value is Manual, but sometimes it is changed to Automatic by the TrustedInstaller service itself. If the value is set to Manual, and you find the following entry in the Cbs.log, then you are seeing this problem: 

Pending transaction content must be resolved, cannot begin another transaction yet 

When you start the TrustedInstaller manually, you can see that the value of the registry key will change to Automatic. After an immediate restart, the update should be applied. For successful processing, see the information in the “More information” section. 

To resolve this problem, find the policy or script that sets the TrustedInstaller startup type to Manual, and disable this policy or remove the script. 

Don't forget to open Regedit with the RunAs Admiinistrator option. You will also need to change the permission on the registry key.

Remember to change the permissions on the key back when you have edited it.

Then reboot jwhen done.

Check the c:\windows\logs\cbs.log file to see the updates being applied. you will need to refresh it because it takes a few minutes to complete. You are looking for 'Finalized' at the end.

Hope this helps!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:17 PM

All replies

• Same, here , have a 2k8 std server runnign for a year no probs, been battling the same problem for 3 days now. I had a restart due to power outage, when the server came back up first thing i noticed was a trust relationship error to the DC=(sbs2003). Logged into the local profile, broke the domain and rejoined. Went as expected. rebooted. Then the whole this hung on appling computer settings. Pulled the NIC and logged into the local profile. Server Manager says Collecting data. Network and connection sharing dosen't work, no RDP. No control panel, most of the services are not running. I'm suspect of the group policy client service.

Any more ideas.........
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 4:37 AM
  • Same here, Hyper-V VM running 32bit 2008 ent. with sp2. Terminal service was working before reboot. Identical symptom as first floor. Didn't add/remove anything, just a reboot... Waiting answers from those guys with medals....
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:59 AM
  • I'm seeing very similar symptoms, after restarting an ESX hosted 2008 server - the "collecting Data" just churns away, most of the services will not start (WAS, W3SVC, mysql, terminal services, etc), seeing red cross on the network icon (even though the machine can ping and can be pinged), can't use any of the control panel apps (including the add/remove equivalent), can't run windows update, msinfo32 times out....

Tearing my hair out. Grateful any help.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 5:33 AM
  • I have the same issue after a fresh install of Server 2008 SP2 and updating to SP2. I am running x32 on a new poweredge t100.

I can run safe mode w/ networking just fine, but loading normally the server manager is just stuck on 'collecting data'.
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 11:54 PM
  • same problem here.  Any update on this?  collecting data, network sharing doesn t open.  Actually every network related task stalls.  I have a few events for AD and group policies.  The server is terminal services gateway server.
    Monday, March 15, 2010 3:03 PM
  • I'm having this same problem on a 2008 x64 server with Service Pack 2.  I have no idea what to do.
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:42 PM
  • I'm having the same problem. 

Any help please...

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:11 PM
  • Same issue here,

Windows 2008 server ENT. SP2; hyper V VM, worked fine for about 9 months, host rebooted (gracefully) and when the VM came back up, all of the above issues.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 7:04 PM
  • I also have same issue. Anyone has solution for it. Please help me.
    AM Senior SharePoint Consultant
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:18 AM
  • I had the same and found the solution in the c:\windows\logs\cbs.log file.

I received the following error:

A search on the Microsoft site revealed the following knowledge base article: 

Cause

The TrustedInstaller service changes the default service startup type of Manual (3) to Automatic (2), when it encounters an update that has to process a transaction after a restart.   When the value is set back to Manual before the restart the transaction that has to be applied after restart cannot be applied.  This transaction will be pended. It will block all other update installations that might come up. 

Resolution

If updates are not applied, check the value of the registry key: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TrustedInstaller\Start  

The default value is Manual, but sometimes it is changed to Automatic by the TrustedInstaller service itself. If the value is set to Manual, and you find the following entry in the Cbs.log, then you are seeing this problem: 

When you start the TrustedInstaller manually, you can see that the value of the registry key will change to Automatic. After an immediate restart, the update should be applied. For successful processing, see the information in the “More information” section. 

To resolve this problem, find the policy or script that sets the TrustedInstaller startup type to Manual, and disable this policy or remove the script. 

Don't forget to open Regedit with the RunAs Admiinistrator option. You will also need to change the permission on the registry key.

Remember to change the permissions on the key back when you have edited it.

Then reboot jwhen done.

Check the c:\windows\logs\cbs.log file to see the updates being applied. you will need to refresh it because it takes a few minutes to complete. You are looking for 'Finalized' at the end.

Hope this helps!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:17 PM