Error on Exchange 2013 installation.. RRS feed

• Question

• Okay here is my question this mainly has to do with an existing exchange server. So I have exchange 2010 installed on a server and say I run the exchange 2013 installation on that same server obviously this wouldn't work do to the existing exchange being on there. But say the installation makes it to the prerequisite Analysis check and fails because the "Server is in an inconsistent state" mainly because exchange 2010 exists on the server already. Would this cause the exchange 2010 to cease functioning?
    Monday, December 12, 2016 2:34 AM

Answers

• Okay here is my question this mainly has to do with an existing exchange server. So I have exchange 2010 installed on a server and say I run the exchange 2013 installation on that same server obviously this wouldn't work do to the existing exchange being on there. But say the installation makes it to the prerequisite Analysis check and fails because the "Server is in an inconsistent state" mainly because exchange 2010 exists on the server already. Would this cause the exchange 2010 to cease functioning?

The In-Place upgrade, I mean installation of Exchange 2013 on a server already Exchange 2010 or 2007 exist, IS NOT SUPPORTED. You better do a clean install on a different server.

Thanks

Monday, December 12, 2016 6:19 AM

All replies

• Please refer this link on same error: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/5bab11ae-d37c-41a9-8171-66ee7f73f0ae/exchange-server-is-in-an-inconsistent-state-exchange-2013?forum=exchangesvrdeploy
    Monday, December 12, 2016 4:48 AM

The In-Place upgrade, I mean installation of Exchange 2013 on a server already Exchange 2010 or 2007 exist, IS NOT SUPPORTED. You better do a clean install on a different server.

Thanks

Monday, December 12, 2016 6:19 AM
  • Run the ADSIEdit step to remove reference to the previously attempted server install. Because the previous Exchange 2013 installation failed to complete, it leaves the Exchange 2013 server object in Active Directory and prevents a new Exchange 2013 installation.

Deploy a new installation of Exchange 2013

Also refer to this article which explore common mistakes made while designing and deploying Exchange 2013.

Hope this helps!

Migrate mailboxes, Public Folders, Outlook profiles and rules and GAL etc. to-and-fro Exchange Servers and Office 365 with LepideMigrator for Exchange

Monday, December 12, 2016 10:17 AM
  • Go through below case

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/a2b11129-3bcf-4caa-8e40-0dfbd4e387b7/the-exchange-server-is-in-an-inconsistent-state-only-server-recovery-mode-is-available?forum=exchangesvradminlegacy

Monday, December 12, 2016 4:50 PM
  • Hi Renz_94,

No, it won't cause Exchange 2010 to cease functioning, only stops installation to continue.

As PK mentioned, it's not supported to install a higher Exchange version directly on a server which have installed a legacy exchange version.

If it is for upgrade, we can install Exchange 2013 on a new server, and then move mailbox from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013. More details see : Upgrade from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 8:54 AM