Win 7 can see my XP laptop on network, but XP can't see Win 7 pc?,,, RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded to the Win 7 RC on my PC and kept my laptop on Win XP sp3. After the upgrade I got my New Win 7 pc to recognize and transfer files to and from the Win XP machine, no problem, BUT my Win XP machine can't see my Win 7 machine at all?!

Does anyone know what how I can fix this problem? Obviously the network settings are fine since I can get files off of Win XP from Win , just can't go the other way.

Thanks all!
    Monday, July 6, 2009 11:18 PM

Answers

•   Have you enabled file sharing from the Network and Sharing Center?

I find the best way to share files frrom Vista/Win7 to legacy machines is to use Public file shares. Put anything you want the downlevel clients to see in Public shares and enable public file sharing.

Bill
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:56 AM
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 2:54 AM

All replies

•   Have you enabled file sharing from the Network and Sharing Center?

I find the best way to share files frrom Vista/Win7 to legacy machines is to use Public file shares. Put anything you want the downlevel clients to see in Public shares and enable public file sharing.

Bill
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:56 AM
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 2:54 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem and dont wany to use public folders.  Have you resolved it yet - surprised there are not more threads and help for this problem.  I had no problem with xp seeing vista and visa versa, if not resolved it will stop me buying win7.  I have tried to bin Homegroup but cant and have renamed my 2 PCs a different name convention but still cant get XP to recognise the shared folders on Win7 pc
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 8:38 AM
  • right go on the network box in the taskbar at the right corner and u will have to right click on ur mouse and open the networking icon and then go 2 networking share oor search of it under the contral pannel ok if thanks grahan stilwlel u need any more help i will sent u stuff to use to make it work because there this a password thing on win 7 rc 32bit and i got me round the bend thanks from graham stilwell

Sunday, August 2, 2009 3:07 PM
  • I posted a response to your reply Bill, but for some reason I don't see it on here?!

I made a little bit of progress - Now my XP machine can see my Win 7 machine's folders and printer, BUT I get an access denied error when I try to open the shared folders from the XP machine. It says I need to contact the Administrator for permission - which I don't have passwords setup, I have them turned off actually.

Anyhow, So I went through in the advanced sharing options here are my settings now...
    discovery:on
    File and printer sharing:on
    public folder sharing:on
    media streaming: on
    File sharing connections: 128 bit
    password protected sharing: off
    Homegroup connections: allow windows to manage

and these are the same for both home/work and public settings

I made sure both computers have the same work group name - MSHOME

Thanks for any more help I can get!
    Monday, August 3, 2009 6:08 AM
  • I'm having the same problem, in Windows 7 can visualize all the shared network, but no windows xp, I can not see the shared folders from windows 7.
    Friday, October 2, 2009 12:49 AM
  • Anyone know anything yet, or have an idea what is causing this?

Thanks all,

Aza
    Friday, October 2, 2009 1:35 AM
  • I also have this problem. Anyone got a soln???

Thanks guys!
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 9:31 PM