none
3TB PG filling stand alone tape, not spanning RRS feed

• Question

• I have a single file server with more data than can be held on a single 3TB tape, so it would need to span two tapes. The problem is that once the first tape fills up, DPM doesn't prompt or wait for another free tape to be swapped in, it just fails the backup to tape job.

How can I get the job to span 2 tapes?  I do not have an autoloader and it's not in the budget.

Thanks!

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 6:17 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

During a tape backup if a tape becomes full and there are no other tapes marked free, Free (contains data) or expired in the library, DPM will raise an alert to prompt for another free tape to continue backup. It will wait for 1 hour by default before failing the job.

This prompting timeout can be configured by the registry entry “PromptingTimeOut” under “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\1.0\Prompting”
    PromptingTimeOut:REG_Dword:43200000  (dec) = 12hrs

The Formula is   (#hrs * 1000 * 60 * 60)
    1HR =  1*1000*60*60 =  3600000  decimal

So for each hour to wait, multiply by 3600000.

8hrs = 28800000  decimal

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 6:58 PM
  • Thank you! I Have made the registry modification and will wait to see if the next job prompts.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:25 PM