Thumbnail preview disappeared after changing theme RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to ask a question on Aero.

I have encountered problem with frequent BSOD automatic reboot (please see this post) on my HP tx2500 laptop with ATI Radeon 3200 graphic card. I have looked at many related discussions on the Internet and many suggests to disable Aero effect to reduce the chance of graphic card overheating. In order to do this, I selected Desktop-> Personalize ->Basic and High Contrast Themes-> Windows 7 Basic.

But immediately after this, I found that taskbar thumbnail preview changed into textual title bar information of the applications. Taskbar thumbnail preview is a very convenient feature and I don't want to miss it. Is there any way to preserve this while still not using the Aero themes (for avoid overheating problem)?

Bob

Friday, November 19, 2010 2:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Bob,

I want to inform you that thumbnail preview only enable on Aero Themes. So if you change theme to Windows 7 basic or classic, the thumbnail preview function will be disabled. It is by design.

I suggest troubleshooting and resolved the BSOD issue directly.

Please update BIOS, Chipset and graphics card driver to latest version first.

If the Blue Screen appears again, please refer to the following steps to collect memory dump files:

1. Click “Start”, type “%SystemRoot%\Minidump" (without quotation marks) in “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".

3. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like [Mini092008-01.dmp]) in Minidump to this folder.

4. Right-click on the Dump folder, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

5. Share your dump file to me.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, November 29, 2010 2:07 AM
    Monday, November 22, 2010 8:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Bob,

I want to inform you that thumbnail preview only enable on Aero Themes. So if you change theme to Windows 7 basic or classic, the thumbnail preview function will be disabled. It is by design.

I suggest troubleshooting and resolved the BSOD issue directly.

Please update BIOS, Chipset and graphics card driver to latest version first.

If the Blue Screen appears again, please refer to the following steps to collect memory dump files:

1. Click “Start”, type “%SystemRoot%\Minidump" (without quotation marks) in “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".

3. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like [Mini092008-01.dmp]) in Minidump to this folder.

4. Right-click on the Dump folder, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

5. Share your dump file to me.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, November 29, 2010 2:07 AM
    Monday, November 22, 2010 8:15 AM
  • Dear Huang,

Thanks for the information on Aero theme and thumbnail preview, now I have become accustomed to using taskbar without thumbnail preview.

In this post I reported reboot issue. Could you have a look at that?

Bob

Monday, November 29, 2010 10:57 AM