Missing Registry Entries RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Upon Right clicking the Desktop the upcoming context menu doesn't list the "NEW" option, neither able to create a new folder option in file menu.

My OS is W7 Home Prem. x64 Sp1

As a solution I was advised to set a new value in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\ but three entries are missing: Background, DefaultIcon and shell, only the shellex folder shows up compared to in the functionally OK W7x64 Pro Sp1.

Any advice?

Thank you

Saturday, December 3, 2016 10:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To import and export registry key, you can refer to this guide:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755091(v=ws.11).aspx

In addition, for context menu, most items are locate under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers.

or here HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by csoros Thursday, December 8, 2016 4:22 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 7:05 AM

All replies

• ShellExView can be used for solving context-menu problems in Explorer environment. Check it here:

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

Saturday, December 3, 2016 11:47 PM
  • Hi,

Please copy following contents into notepad and save as fix.reg file:

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New]
    @="{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}"

After backing up your own registry keys, please double click the fix.reg file to see if the New item appear in context menu.

For other missing context, you can also export registry keys from other computers which works fine on context menu, and then import into your computer for fixing.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 5, 2016 9:23 AM
  • Hi Kate,

My PC skill is hardly more than BASIC.

You said: For other missing context, you can also export registry keys from other computers which works fine on context menu, and then import into your computer for fixing.

Walk me through it please.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 10:39 PM
  • Hi,

To import and export registry key, you can refer to this guide:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755091(v=ws.11).aspx

In addition, for context menu, most items are locate under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers.

or here HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

• Marked as answer by csoros Thursday, December 8, 2016 4:22 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 7:05 AM
  • Managed solve the right context and other registry issues by following that link you referred to above.

However there's another issue. My DVD drive able to write, but unable read the existing files (only the Readme text shows, picture below) i.e. Windows installation DVD, while my other PC with the same ODS can. How to solve this?

Thursday, December 8, 2016 8:09 PM