Decomissioning Exchange 2007 SCR server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have an Exchange 2007 SCR target which I would like to shutdown and replace with a new server.

Do I disabled the SCR replication and shutdown the old SCR server, then rebuild the new SCR server. If I am not using the old SCR server name then can I just install Exchange without RecoverServer switch (setup /m:recoverserver). Also if I want to use the old SCR server name do I have to install Exchange with  setup /m:recoverserver ?

I would appreciate your advise.

Thank you in advance.

Monday, April 16, 2012 4:31 PM

Answers

• Are you saying that you're just upgrading the hardware? If you're not using the same server name, then you'd need to add everything new, ie. it's a new SCR target. If you keep the same server name, then if you install with setup /m:recoverserver you would have less to configure.
    Monday, April 16, 2012 5:01 PM

All replies

• Are you saying that you're just upgrading the hardware? If you're not using the same server name, then you'd need to add everything new, ie. it's a new SCR target. If you keep the same server name, then if you install with setup /m:recoverserver you would have less to configure.
    Monday, April 16, 2012 5:01 PM
  • Thank you Jared, I am planning to install SCR on a new server, and shutdown the old SCR server as the hardware is very old. I will disable the SCR replication first on the current SCR (old server), before installing new SCR target on the new server.

Apart from disabling the SCR replication do I need to do anything else on the old SCR server, e.g. uninstall Exchange 2007 or just format the server's disk and shut it down.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:06 AM
  • It would be wise to uninstall Exchange. The reason is there might be some resource left on it (that you've forgotten about) that you would need to migrate off first. Exchange won't uninstall until it can safely be uninstalled. That's not common, but it does happen.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:31 PM