The USB Question RRS feed

• Question

•  

This really isn’t a SteadyState question, but I figured I’d ask it here since most of us work with a Shared PC environment?  The problem I’m having is with USB devices (Primarily USB Drives).  On my reference computer I installed a few prior to imaging, so that the drivers where already installed and the uses would not need administrative rights to install new drivers.  There are a small number of people who still have USB drives that will not install them selves.  Has anyone got a work around to allow any USB device to be installed with out Administrative rights?  My systems are running Windows XP SP2.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 12:32 AM

Answers

• Hi JC,

Please understand that it’s not safe to grant other users to add/remove devices from the system. We cannot guarantee the new drivers/devices are secure and compatible with Windows XP. From your description, it seems most USB drivers have been installed. It’s still recommended to install other drivers using an administrator account.

To allow other users to install USB devices, we can configure the following group policy:

[Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment\Load and unload device drivers]

Alternatively, run the following command:

ntrights -u <Computer Name>\<user name> +r SeLoadDriverPrivilege

If the ntrights command cannot be recognized, we need to install Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools (which include ntrights.exe) first:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en

As this issue is not related to SteadyState, it's best to post this inquiry to Windows XP public newsgroup:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is that you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other customers who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Thursday, August 30, 2007 2:45 AM

All replies

• Hi JC,

Please understand that it’s not safe to grant other users to add/remove devices from the system. We cannot guarantee the new drivers/devices are secure and compatible with Windows XP. From your description, it seems most USB drivers have been installed. It’s still recommended to install other drivers using an administrator account.

To allow other users to install USB devices, we can configure the following group policy:

[Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment\Load and unload device drivers]

Alternatively, run the following command:

ntrights -u <Computer Name>\<user name> +r SeLoadDriverPrivilege

If the ntrights command cannot be recognized, we need to install Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools (which include ntrights.exe) first:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en

As this issue is not related to SteadyState, it's best to post this inquiry to Windows XP public newsgroup:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is that you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other customers who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Thursday, August 30, 2007 2:45 AM
  • Think I already tired this but I'll try it again.

Thanks!

Thursday, August 30, 2007 2:51 AM
  • No luck, but thanks anyways.  I’ve posted a message on XP General, see if it pans out anything.

Saturday, September 1, 2007 3:44 AM