Outlook 2016 won't Autodiscover with Modern Authentication for ONE user RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am pulling my hair out over this one. I have a Windows 7 machine, completely updated that I am trying to set up for a user, but no matter what, I cant get Outlook to use modern authentication when adding her account, therefore, I cant add her account in Outlook. This obviously sounds like a user account issue, but I have tried EVERYTHING to fix it and it will not work. We are running a Exchange 2019 server in hybrid with Exchange Online. No other users are being prompted like this, so I know the Exchange Autodiscover and Modern Auth settings are correct.

Here is the login prompt I get when I try to set her account up...

When I log in as any other user that is licensed exactly like her, here is the prompt that I get...

Here are the things I've tried...

- Reinstall Office 2016 just for the sake of trying

- Added these registry settings via GPO to her account

- AlwaysUseMSOAuthForAutoDiscover

- EnableADAL

- Logged into another W7 PC as her that works for other users and it fails for her

- Deleted her account and mailbox and recreated it using exchange instead of AD

- Ran testconnectivity.microsoft.com and autodiscover is working fine for her

- Removed and Added the PC to the domain for the sake of trying

Please give me any other ideas. I may have already tried that as well. I've done so many things I don't know if I added them all here. 

• Edited by Zefon Chris Friday, August 9, 2019 2:28 PM
    • Moved by Perry-Pan Tuesday, August 20, 2019 7:45 AM
    Friday, August 9, 2019 2:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Zefon Chris,

>>Logged into another W7 PC as her that works for other users and it fails for her

From your description, I find one common point is that she is using same windows account. If she adds her account to Outlook client in another user windows profile, will same issue occur?

>>Deleted her account and mailbox and recreated it using exchange instead of AD

If we create another new mailbox, will same error occur?

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, August 12, 2019 6:37 AM
    Monday, August 12, 2019 6:37 AM
  • I tried what you suggested and logging in as another user and adding the problem user mailbox didn't work either. Also, creating another new mailbox had the same results; it wouldn't work after being migrated to the cloud. While on the local server, it would work fine.

So the user would work before I migrated her mailbox to Exchange Online. Once I did that, it wouldn't work. 

I got an exchange online advisory about the issue a few minutes ago and I think I am one of the ones affected by this issue. 

• Edited by Zefon Chris Monday, August 12, 2019 3:41 PM
    Monday, August 12, 2019 3:38 PM
  • Hi Zefon Chris,

According to my research, we can check the authentication method via Connection status. If it shows as following, it is using modern authentication:

According to the description, new-created mailbox also reproduced this issue. It should be more related with Exchange server. Here we mainly focus on issues regarding Office desktop client. I'd like to recommend you post this thread to Exchange Online forum for further research.

Thank you for your understanding and support!

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, August 16, 2019 7:27 AM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2019 6:07 AM