none
File Level and Host Level Backups using two DPM Servers RRS feed

• Question

• I have a two node Hyper-V cluster.  Is it possible to backup the virtual machines (host level) using one DPM server, and back up file/items within the VMs on a seperate DPM server?  That is, the agents on the hosts would be associated to DPM Server #1, while the agents within the VMs would be associated to DPM Server# 2. Or would this arrangement cause problems between the two DPM servers?

Thanks!

Friday, July 27, 2012 5:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Generally speaking, that can work, but I would avoid colliding backup times,   Also, if the workloads in the Guests include SQL, sharepoint or Exchange databases, then I would implement this fix and registry key to prevent host level backups from truncating logs so the gues level backups can stay consistent.

975354  A Hyper-V update rollup is available for Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;975354

Issue 3

The application backup operation in the virtual machine (VM) is incorrectly affected by the VM backup operation on the server that is running Hyper-V.

Note You may still experience issue 3 after you install this hotfix. You can apply the following registry entry in a virtual machine to fix issue 3 for that virtual machine:

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Virtualization\VssRequestor
    Name: BackupType
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 0 or 1

If this registry entry is created and its value is set to 1 , application backup will not be affected by the virtual machine backup operation on the server that is running Hyper-V. If this registry entry does not exist, or if its value is 0 , issue 3 occurs.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, July 27, 2012 2:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Generally speaking, that can work, but I would avoid colliding backup times,   Also, if the workloads in the Guests include SQL, sharepoint or Exchange databases, then I would implement this fix and registry key to prevent host level backups from truncating logs so the gues level backups can stay consistent.

975354  A Hyper-V update rollup is available for Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;975354

Issue 3

The application backup operation in the virtual machine (VM) is incorrectly affected by the VM backup operation on the server that is running Hyper-V.

Note You may still experience issue 3 after you install this hotfix. You can apply the following registry entry in a virtual machine to fix issue 3 for that virtual machine:

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Virtualization\VssRequestor
    Name: BackupType
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 0 or 1

If this registry entry is created and its value is set to 1 , application backup will not be affected by the virtual machine backup operation on the server that is running Hyper-V. If this registry entry does not exist, or if its value is 0 , issue 3 occurs.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, July 27, 2012 2:24 PM
  • Thanks Mike.

I'll try that.

I'm mainly looking for a way to divide backups between two DPM servers.  Neither machine has enough storage to back up everything on the cluster, but individually they do.  Aside from buying a storage server, the only way to do this that I can see is to separate the host level and file level backups.  That is, unless you have any other ideas.

Thanks again.

Friday, July 27, 2012 6:32 PM