Windows 7 System Performance RRS feed

• Question

• I have a toshiba laptop with windows 7 Home Premium which has 8 GB DDR3 RAM and 500GB HDD.

I find the time taken for the OS to boot is more than the normal system. though i have updated norton antivirus i see performance lag. i do basic things like defragment, registry clean, virus scans etc. what else can be done to improve performance in all aspect?

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 6:10 AM

Answers

All replies

• Unfortunately NAV makes Windows 7 slow. I shall suggest you to uninstall NAV and recheck the problem. You may also try to Clean Boot.

Re: How to perform a clean boot in Windows

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

• Proposed as answer by DenialoX Wednesday, June 17, 2015 8:54 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by DenialoX Wednesday, June 17, 2015 8:54 AM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2015 8:32 AM
  • Dear

Most common things that cause slow performance:

1- Computer Infected

2- Hard Disk Full or almost Full

3- Too many files on startup 

4- Scan option before loading windows OS

So try the below :

1- Open Run , type msconfig then Enter, go to startup and stop all unnecessary application, programs... 

2- Check HD capacity.

3- Remove unneeded desktop shortcuts/icons since it can slow loading user profile. 

4-Fully update AV , then perform full scan.

5- check if AV is scanning RAM on boot.

Regards

IS

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 8:54 AM
  • I have a toshiba laptop with windows 7 Home Premium which has 8 GB DDR3 RAM and 500GB HDD.

I find the time taken for the OS to boot is more than the normal system. though i have updated norton antivirus i see performance lag. i do basic things like defragment, registry clean, virus scans etc. what else can be done to improve performance in all aspect?

Sorry for the trouble. Let me know the name and version of your Norton product. I can help.

Thanks!

Raj

Norton Support

Thursday, June 18, 2015 4:34 AM
  • Hi Jawahar,

We can use the autorun tool to check for the programs autorun during startup. If we don`t want them to run automatically, we can disable them to improve the boot performance.

Autoruns for Windows v13.4

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

To analyze the issue deeply, we can use the Windows Performance Toolkit. It will show us the details of the boot time.

Windows performance recorder

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-system/windows-performance-recorder/a1648e8c-50c7-4243-9f1d-4216385c7ff3

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 19, 2015 6:33 AM