Shared Mailbox Issue RRS feed

• Question

• We have 5 shared mailboxes currently in on-premise and setup as non-cache mode in Outlook (since cached mode always got inconsistency issue). We are moving this in Exchange Online however upon testing the access to shared mailbox (online) is not acceptable. We already tested it from 13Mbps and 50Mbps internet line but got the same response time.

We do not want to set it as user to setup as secondary mailbox as there will be additional license cost.
    I am thinking of using Groups instead but no option to create sub-folders like a mailbox.

I just wonder why Groups is fast is consistent and fast while it is not the case for shared mailbox.

Any possible solution on to manage our shared folder well?

• Moved by Steve Fan Friday, July 28, 2017 1:51 AM Move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Thursday, July 27, 2017 4:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Don,

>>We are moving this in Exchange Online however upon testing the access to shared mailbox (online) is not acceptable. We already tested it from 13Mbps and 50Mbps internet line but got the same response time.

Do you mean it will take a long response time to access the shared mailboxes when migrated to Exchange Online?

Does this issue happen when trying accessing any of the shared mailboxes?

How large are the shared mailboxes? How many folders do you have in the shared mailboxes? Is it possible to reduce the number of folders and then see whether there is any improvement?

Is there any performance issue when accessing your primary mailboxes?

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 28, 2017 2:55 AM
  • Hi Don,

>>We are moving this in Exchange Online however upon testing the access to shared mailbox (online) is not acceptable. We already tested it from 13Mbps and 50Mbps internet line but got the same response time.

Do you mean it will take a long response time to access the shared mailboxes when migrated to Exchange Online? - Yes via non-cache

Does this issue happen when trying accessing any of the shared mailboxes? - Yes

How large are the shared mailboxes? How many folders do you have in the shared mailboxes? Is it possible to reduce the number of folders and then see whether there is any improvement?- Only 28MB

Is there any performance issue when accessing your primary mailboxes? - No issue on primary mailbox (cached)

Regards,

Steve Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 3:35 AM
  • Thank you for the update Don.

Is there any event logged in the Application log when try accessing the shared mailboxes?

Have you tried disabling Firewall, AVG or mail scanner in affected machine to test?

Regards,

Steve Fan

Monday, August 7, 2017 9:28 AM
  • Hi Steve,

No event logged in the Application log when accessing the shared mailbox.

I've found an alternative add the mailbox as additional mailbox then it O365 will ask for authentication need to enter my personal credential instead. The performance was addressed however, send on behalf is not working on this setup. I am getting error that i do not have such access even i have full mailbox and send as permission.

I also noticed that send on behalf option is not available for shared mailbox in exchange online

Tuesday, August 8, 2017 5:41 AM