stsadm Import with includeusersecurity Messed Up Security in Collection RRS feed

• Question

• I used STSADM to export a site then imported it to the same collection but a different URL. I used includeusersecurity for both. The export and import worked.

But this destroyed security for some unrelated higher level sites. One Active Directory group completely disappeared from all of the broken sites and putting it back only helped in some cases.

Trying to fix some sites has not worked at all. Changes made to their security has absolutely no effect. I had to add users into a different already used Active Directory group to get them into the broken sites and this AD group is not even listed within the broken sites security!

It's seems to be related to sites using Active Directory groups only. My sites with purely SharePoint groups seem fine.

I even created a new site at the same site collection level and security still doesn't work!

Help!!!!

One recommendation, NEVER EVER USE INCLUDEUSERSECURITY. I have been burned twice now. IT BREAKS SHAREPOINT.

SharePoint Server 2007

Ken C

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, December 3, 2010 4:20 PM Don't use CAPs in Titles
    Friday, December 3, 2010 4:09 PM

All replies

• Well, it came down to one thing. One major Active Directory group got removed from the permissions of all of the SharePoint sites in the collection while doing the import with the includeusersecurity parameter.

My broken pages had web parts that required data from other sites which the user no longer had access. This triggered the "Access Denied" messages.

I have added the group back in hopefully everywhere required. This behavior still makes me very weary of this paramater.

Ken C

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 7:37 PM
  • Hi Ken,

I'm struggling with the same problem after using the -includeusersecurity parameter.

How did you find out what group was missing?

Br,

Mark

Monday, October 14, 2013 9:34 AM