Windows Update Error Code 80072EFE RRS feed

• Question

• Ok,

SOOOOOOOOOO this problem has been happening for ages... i cant update windows because this stupid Error Code 80072EFE keeps coming up... i have tried a million programs to fix this problem i have also read about a million forum post about it and i have had no luck in fixing this problem... i am getting seriously angry at my computer...

i have used programs called Driver Booster and RegSERVO (which i had to pay for because the scan was free... the fix wasnt). i have also followed instructions to delete a CATROOT folder or something... and that hasnt helped either...

sometimes internet explore or firefox wont even open, i click it and the curser does its loading business yet nothing loads...

if someone could please help me i would be eternally greatful! im about to smash my computer against the wall and move on to a mac

dani

Saturday, October 23, 2010 8:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The issue can be caused by the incorrect setting in Vista, let us take the following steps to check our issue.

Step 1: Reset TCP/IP and DNS

1. Click Start, in Start Search item, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.

2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

NETSH  INT  IP  RESET C:\RESETLOG.TXT

NETSH  WINHTTP  RESET  PROXY

IPCONFIG  /FLUSHDNS

3. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "register.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the location.

4. Refer to the Desktop and right click the register.bat file, then choose Run as administrator.

5. You will see a DOS-like window processing

Note: if the TCP/IP and DNS still cannot be reset, please directly take the step 3.

Step 2: Add the Windows Update Web site and the Microsoft Update Web site to the Trusted Sites list

Note If your third-party firewall is still disabled from Method B, do not open e-mail messages, surf the Web, or use instant messenger at this point.

1 Start Windows Internet Explorer.

2 On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

3 Note If you are using Internet Explorer 7, and the menu is not available, press the ALT key on your keyboard to access the Internet Explorer Menu.

4 Click the Security tab, and then click Trusted Sites.

5 Click Sites, and then click to clear the Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone check box.

6 In the Add this Web site to the zone box, type the following addresses, and then click Add after you type each address:

http://update.microsoft.com

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

7 Click OK two times.

After that, please check our issue again. If the issue persists, I suggest download and install Microsoft Security Essentials and perform a full system scan or scan virus online.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, October 25, 2010 7:20 AM

All replies

• i have also tried windows Security Essentials Software which resulted in the same error message,

i  have also tried tdsskiller.exe and that did not work either...

Saturday, October 23, 2010 9:07 AM
  • Hi,

The issue can be caused by the incorrect setting in Vista, let us take the following steps to check our issue.

Step 1: Reset TCP/IP and DNS

1. Click Start, in Start Search item, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.

2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

NETSH  INT  IP  RESET C:\RESETLOG.TXT

NETSH  WINHTTP  RESET  PROXY

IPCONFIG  /FLUSHDNS

3. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "register.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the location.

4. Refer to the Desktop and right click the register.bat file, then choose Run as administrator.

5. You will see a DOS-like window processing

Note: if the TCP/IP and DNS still cannot be reset, please directly take the step 3.

Step 2: Add the Windows Update Web site and the Microsoft Update Web site to the Trusted Sites list

Note If your third-party firewall is still disabled from Method B, do not open e-mail messages, surf the Web, or use instant messenger at this point.

1 Start Windows Internet Explorer.

2 On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

3 Note If you are using Internet Explorer 7, and the menu is not available, press the ALT key on your keyboard to access the Internet Explorer Menu.

4 Click the Security tab, and then click Trusted Sites.

5 Click Sites, and then click to clear the Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone check box.

6 In the Add this Web site to the zone box, type the following addresses, and then click Add after you type each address:

http://update.microsoft.com

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

7 Click OK two times.

After that, please check our issue again. If the issue persists, I suggest download and install Microsoft Security Essentials and perform a full system scan or scan virus online.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, October 25, 2010 7:20 AM