none
Cannot join homegroup RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 computers running Windows 7 pro connected through a router/modem box
    Network is working and I can share files between them with the classical Windows workgroup networking
    I can create a homegroup on one but then I cannot access this homegroup from the other (same I change their roles)
    On both I setup the following:
      - Network = home network (in french : domestique - excuse me if the translation (from french) is not perfect)
      - In network settings : Activate network discovery
      - In Admin tools / Services, the following services are set to automatic start and started
          - server
          - homegroup listener
          - peer networking group
          - homegroup provider

What is wrong or missing that can explain why I cannot run my homegroup ?
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 10:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Firstly, may I know the exact error appeared when you failed to join the HomeGroup?

At this time, please try the following:

1.    Go to “Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\HomeGroup” and click “Start the HomeGroup troubleshooter” link to check the issue.

2.    Please also try the following method:

Why can’t I join a homegroup?

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, February 26, 2010 11:12 AM
  • SOLVED

It's about IPv6

As said by Mr Alexandiyski in this post:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/4c0770bb-247a-46d6-8267-c3715410d98f
    Homegroup functionality needs IPv6

Then if your network equipment doesn't support IPv6 you won't be able to get 2 or more computers together in a homegroup

Before my 2 computers were connected direct to the modem/router
    I just connected them to a switch and the switch to the modem/router and now everything is OK, I can join one computer to the homegroup created on the other one. The reason is that a switch (basic one) does not care about Internet Protocol, so it's compatible with all version of IP, a router of course must deal with IP and if you have old (>2 years) router it might be not compatible with IPv6.

I think that Microsoft should have included this warning in their help file and moderators should update their memo to include this. Many people like me are wasting hours to get this bloody homegroup running and there should be an comprehensive list of ALL possible causes that prevent the homegroup from working.
    • Marked as answer by J_L_Ottmann Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:26 PM
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Firstly, may I know the exact error appeared when you failed to join the HomeGroup?

At this time, please try the following:

1.    Go to “Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\HomeGroup” and click “Start the HomeGroup troubleshooter” link to check the issue.

2.    Please also try the following method:

Why can’t I join a homegroup?

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, February 26, 2010 11:12 AM
  • I have a similar issue. I've got 3 desktops networked with a wireless laptop via a router. I've created a homegroup on my main desktop and most of the time the other two computers see it and are able to join the homegroup but my laptop never can. It detects it but cannot join and it tells me that I need TCP/IPv6 enabled, which it is and settings are setup to be detected automatically, just like all my other computers, but it will never let me complete the process as it tells me it's not enabled... The desktops are running Win7 Pro and Home edition 64bit but the Laptop is running Home 32 bit. Is this the problem? Also, when just trying to access the hard drives on my main computer (Pro 64 bit) that I have shared and can access on the other computers (most of the time...) I can only access 1 of 3 of them. They are all setup exactly the same to share with everyone with the same permissions but the laptop can only access one of them. I've tried unsharing and then resharing them, renaming the shared drive but nothing works. I keep being told I don't have permission and contact my administrator... This has been driving me nuts. My desktop can access all the shared drives/folders on the laptop though, one of the other computers can only access some of them... I just don't understand how it can be so selective in what is shared when the settings are all the same between them as far as permissions go. Any help/suggestions you can provide will be greatly appreciated!
    Friday, February 26, 2010 8:56 PM
  • SOLVED

It's about IPv6

As said by Mr Alexandiyski in this post:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/4c0770bb-247a-46d6-8267-c3715410d98f
    Homegroup functionality needs IPv6

Then if your network equipment doesn't support IPv6 you won't be able to get 2 or more computers together in a homegroup

Before my 2 computers were connected direct to the modem/router
    I just connected them to a switch and the switch to the modem/router and now everything is OK, I can join one computer to the homegroup created on the other one. The reason is that a switch (basic one) does not care about Internet Protocol, so it's compatible with all version of IP, a router of course must deal with IP and if you have old (>2 years) router it might be not compatible with IPv6.

I think that Microsoft should have included this warning in their help file and moderators should update their memo to include this. Many people like me are wasting hours to get this bloody homegroup running and there should be an comprehensive list of ALL possible causes that prevent the homegroup from working.
    • Marked as answer by J_L_Ottmann Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:26 PM
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:22 PM